Discussion World Forum  


Go Back   Discussion World Forum > Discussion Forums > Architecture & Urban Design

Architecture & Urban Design Buildings, houses, mass transit, density, urban sprawl or anything related to architecture.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #11  
Old Sep 7th 2013, 09:39 AM
Michael's Avatar
Michael Michael is offline
Administrator
Herder of Cats
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Toronto
Posts: 14,835
Default Re: MONORAIL? What Monorail?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominick View Post
It looks great, no question about that, but with an investment of 6 billion roubles, only 6 stations and 4.7 km of track and 12,000 users a day at a ticket price of 26 rouble it wouldn't stand a chance of getting built in an environment where only money matters (e.g. US or EU).
Indeed. These monorail projects are 'eyecandy' projects. They look pretty, but they aren't actually "mass transit". Las Vegas has one just like this, as does Disneyworld. Both places use them for tourists. Neither one is actually useful as transit.

These monorails don't scale up - we need trains that are 20 times longer (or 20 times more trains which means 20 times more driver/operators which means way more cost).
__________________
Remember what the dormouse said: Feed your head!
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old Sep 7th 2013, 01:39 PM
Pestilence's Avatar
Pestilence Pestilence is offline
World Citizen
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Skåne
Posts: 888
Default Re: MONORAIL? What Monorail?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominick View Post
It looks great, no question about that, but with an investment of 6 billion roubles, only 6 stations and 4.7 km of track and 12,000 users a day at a ticket price of 26 rouble it wouldn't stand a chance of getting built in an environment where only money matters (e.g. US or EU).
If everything you say is true then it would stand a chance if flaunting your wealth and hobnobbing it with the rich were your thing and the 6 stations and 4.7 km of track serviced the ritzy part of town. I mean some people buy dreadfully expensive brand-name trainer shoes for toddlers, and those will only fit for a single season.

Note that HeHimselfAndHim (on another thread) made a point of saying he only travelled the underground when he was skint. In other words he doesn't want to be associated with "those kinds of people".

So if the Monorail were a thing for the wealthy, then it might work!
__________________
"Politicians are the same all over. They promise to build bridges even where there are no rivers."
Nikita Khrushchev
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old Sep 7th 2013, 01:49 PM
Pestilence's Avatar
Pestilence Pestilence is offline
World Citizen
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Skåne
Posts: 888
Default Re: MONORAIL? What Monorail?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael View Post
These monorails don't scale up - we need trains that are 20 times longer (or 20 times more trains which means 20 times more driver/operators which means way more cost).

Hmmm. I cannot agree with that theory. One chauffeur per how many paying commuters did you say? The odds are against your statement, I think.

By the way ..... there is a Metro line in Copenhagen that operates without a chauffeur. It runs on automatic pilot and it's as fun as a roller coaster to sit up front with nothing but a windscreen in front of you.
__________________
"Politicians are the same all over. They promise to build bridges even where there are no rivers."
Nikita Khrushchev
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old Sep 7th 2013, 02:18 PM
Donkey's Avatar
Donkey Donkey is offline
Official Forum Mascot
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Northeast Ohio
Posts: 7,771
Default Re: MONORAIL? What Monorail?

Here's our current pie in the (literal) sky transit fantasy:

http://www.clevelandskylift.com/

I doubt it will ever happen, but it would be cool no doubt. It's billed as a mix between mass transit and tourist attraction. There is actually one truly commuter skylift in the world that I know of, in Medellin, which is built not to cart rich people around, but as access to the poor barrios up the hills.
__________________
"It is essential that there should be organization of labor. This is an era of organization. Capital organizes and therefore labor must organize."
Theodore Roosevelt
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old Sep 7th 2013, 03:31 PM
MeMyselfAndI MeMyselfAndI is offline
Globetrotter
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Moscow, Russia
Posts: 6,453
Default Re: MONORAIL? What Monorail?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pestilence View Post
If everything you say is true then it would stand a chance if flaunting your wealth and hobnobbing it with the rich were your thing and the 6 stations and 4.7 km of track serviced the ritzy part of town. I mean some people buy dreadfully expensive brand-name trainer shoes for toddlers, and those will only fit for a single season.

Note that HeHimselfAndHim (on another thread) made a point of saying he only travelled the underground when he was skint. In other words he doesn't want to be associated with "those kinds of people".

So if the Monorail were a thing for the wealthy, then it might work!
Well, why not? On the regular railway, we already have a special train for the rich

The average people traveling between Moscow and Saint Petersburg take regular long distance trains


Two way ticket costs 2,114 rubles, gets you there in roughly one night.

But, if you can afford it, you can pay, depending on class of accommodation and service, 4-7,000 rubles to be whisked between the two capitals at 300 kilometers per hour on the "Sapsan"

Takes 3 hours, and along the way, you are served amazing food

In 2010, when the company that makes the meals for Sapsan also signed contracts to supply several Russian airlines, there were headlines like this: "Airline passenger will now be fed like Sapsan travelers!"
http://www.dp.ru/a/2010/07/21/V_samo...achnut_kormit/
The food is great, and I have only experienced 3d and 2nd class... In 1st, they probably get served bloody black caviar with priceless French wine

Tested personally by His Majesty


There is now a Sapsan line to Nizhny Novgorod also.

So, why not a high-class Metro too? lol Class distinctions and segregation is what Russia is all about anyway. The "elita" keeping itself above the poor, drunk, dirty "bydlo"...

And I am now a part of it too, as you say. But, to be fair, I am not like that, do not look down upon lower class people. The reason we do not use the Metro anymore, is simply because I do not want to expose my family to the aggressive behavior, drunkenness, crime, and infection that go on down there. It is is a safety decision, not a social one.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old Sep 8th 2013, 01:33 AM
Pestilence's Avatar
Pestilence Pestilence is offline
World Citizen
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Skåne
Posts: 888
Default Re: MONORAIL? What Monorail?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeMyselfAndI View Post


..... Class distinctions and segregation is what Russia is all about anyway. The "elita" keeping itself above the poor, drunk, dirty "bydlo"...
Yes, I know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeMyselfAndI View Post
...... The reason we do not use the Metro anymore, is simply because I do not want to expose my family to the aggressive behavior, drunkenness, crime, and infection that go on down there.
......... as I was saying.


Quote:
Originally Posted by MeMyselfAndI View Post
It is is a safety decision, not a social one.
No offense, but isn't it pretty much the same thing?

Ps. I didn't miss the Toblerone "FRONT AND CENTRE"!
__________________
"Politicians are the same all over. They promise to build bridges even where there are no rivers."
Nikita Khrushchev
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old Sep 8th 2013, 01:49 AM
Pestilence's Avatar
Pestilence Pestilence is offline
World Citizen
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Skåne
Posts: 888
Default Re: MONORAIL? What Monorail?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donkey View Post
Here's our current pie in the (literal) sky transit fantasy:

http://www.clevelandskylift.com/

I doubt it will ever happen, but it would be cool no doubt. It's billed as a mix between mass transit and tourist attraction.
Snazy! It doesn't look very cost efficient though. Unstable, making it "weather permitting" operatable, limited space, "one to one" stations therefore changing stations compulsory. I agree with you that it will never happen.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Donkey View Post
There is actually one truly commuter skylift in the world that I know of, in Medellin, which is built not to cart rich people around, but as access to the poor barrios up the hills.
Found it!
__________________
"Politicians are the same all over. They promise to build bridges even where there are no rivers."
Nikita Khrushchev
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old Sep 8th 2013, 04:32 AM
Pestilence's Avatar
Pestilence Pestilence is offline
World Citizen
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Skåne
Posts: 888
Default Re: MONORAIL? What Monorail?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pestilence View Post
..... By the way ..... there is a Metro line in Copenhagen that operates without a chauffeur. It runs on automatic pilot and it's as fun as a roller coaster to sit up front with nothing but a windscreen in front of you.
I see there a few youtube vids on the automatic pilot Metro in Copenhagen. As I was saying, with no chauffeur, sitting up front is the cool thing to do. I'm linking this one because it includes both above an under ground segments.


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=85Q4B331ewk
__________________
"Politicians are the same all over. They promise to build bridges even where there are no rivers."
Nikita Khrushchev
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old Sep 8th 2013, 08:17 AM
Michael's Avatar
Michael Michael is offline
Administrator
Herder of Cats
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Toronto
Posts: 14,835
Default Re: MONORAIL? What Monorail?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pestilence View Post
I see there a few youtube vids on the automatic pilot Metro in Copenhagen. As I was saying, with no chauffeur, sitting up front is the cool thing to do. I'm linking this one because it includes both above an under ground segments.
Unions tend to make that impossible to impliment in practice.

Here in North America, electric trains have been travelling for half a century carrying a "fireman" who was responsible for shovelling coal into the steam engine (that didn't exist). That "fireman" just sat on the train like a passenger, his wages guarenteed by the railway union - for life.

Which is one of the reasons that rail travel in North America pretty much died half a century ago - because train travel was too expensive compared to cars, buses or planes.

Since all mass-transit that I know of is unionized (since they are public employees), that pretty much makes it impossible to have driver-less trains/subways/monorails. The unions would fight that tooth and nail.
__________________
Remember what the dormouse said: Feed your head!
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old Sep 8th 2013, 12:01 PM
Pestilence's Avatar
Pestilence Pestilence is offline
World Citizen
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Skåne
Posts: 888
Default Re: MONORAIL? What Monorail?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael View Post
Unions tend to make that impossible to impliment in practice.

Here in North America, electric trains have been travelling for half a century carrying a "fireman" who was responsible for shovelling coal into the steam engine (that didn't exist). That "fireman" just sat on the train like a passenger, his wages guarenteed by the railway union - for life.

Which is one of the reasons that rail travel in North America pretty much died half a century ago - because train travel was too expensive compared to cars, buses or planes.

Since all mass-transit that I know of is unionized (since they are public employees), that pretty much makes it impossible to have driver-less trains/subways/monorails. The unions would fight that tooth and nail.
I can take your word for that. However, the U.S. is lacking terribly in public transport and I do not believe one can lay the blame for that upon the Unions, driver-less or otherwise.

The upshot is that if your theory is correct then something else is wrong, because sustainable and affordable transport is available.

And then there are electric cars that are so efficient and ....... well, I am sure you know all about that already.
__________________
"Politicians are the same all over. They promise to build bridges even where there are no rivers."
Nikita Khrushchev
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:50 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©2008 - 2017, DiscussionWorldForum.com