Discussion World Forum  

Go Back   Discussion World Forum > Discussion Forums > Architecture & Urban Design

Architecture & Urban Design Buildings, houses, mass transit, density, urban sprawl or anything related to architecture.

Old Dec 1st 2010, 10:19 PM
Globetrotter

Default Pripyat

Once a bustling city of 50,000 people, now a deserted ghost town, inside the Chernobyl Contamination Zone.

What's really scary is that this place, these apartment buildings, it looks like any other Russian, Ukrainian, or Belarussian city. I live in a building just like this one...

Even the old viewing wheel is still there, all rusted and useless now

I've been here. Went as a tourist. Governments tell us to stay away from there, that it is dangerous, radiation. But, a lot of people, thousands, go, every year. To see our combined civilization's greatest failure. Those who once lived here come too, and their children and grandchildren. I know a few. Many of those people live with a hope that one day their city will be restored. I admire their resilience, but I doubt they'll succeed.

Public swimming pool:

You can't restore this...

Kindergarden. This touched me most:

Old vehicles contaminated with radiation

One good thing in all this: with mankind gone out of the area, animal life thrived there:

Anyway, I agree with others, we have to preserve this place. As a eternal reminder of what happens when nuclear power gets out of hand. To make sure such a thing never happens again.

http://gallery.pripyat.com/
Old Dec 2nd 2010, 11:52 AM
Globetrotter

Default Re: Pripyat

Reminds me of many US inner-cities after the factories that built them closed.
Old Dec 2nd 2010, 01:19 PM
Globetrotter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Americano View Post
Reminds me of many US inner-cities after the factories that built them closed.
I suppose. It is just an eerie place...

A couple years ago, a group of European artists visited Pripyat, and they drew shadow figures on buildings, on walls, to signify, I guess, memory of people who lived, worked, studied, and had fun there once.

To me though, that does not look nice. Looks scary. Like ghosts...
Old Dec 2nd 2010, 02:41 PM
Administrator
Herder of Cats

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeMyselfAndI View Post
Anyway, I agree with others, we have to preserve this place. As a eternal reminder of what happens when nuclear power gets out of hand. To make sure such a thing never happens again.
As long as people remember that the key failure at Chernobyl was not technical, scientific or mechanical. It was entirely 100% human error that caused the catastrophe.

That's something people tend to overlook. Humans are always the most dangerous element in any calculation.
Old Dec 2nd 2010, 03:46 PM
Globetrotter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael View Post
As long as people remember that the key failure at Chernobyl was not technical, scientific or mechanical. It was entirely 100% human error that caused the catastrophe.

That's something people tend to overlook. Humans are always the most dangerous element in any calculation.
That is true. Human error and incompetence and irresponcibility of government. For days they would not even admit something happened there. Firefighters were sent to Chernobyl without protective costumes. Many of those men died soon after, none are alive today.

There are memorials to them today

Near Kiev

and one put up by volunteers near Chernobyl itself, in 2001

one recently opened at Mitino cemetary, in Moscow, where many of them are buried

And a few others
http://chernobil.info/?p=773

Those were couragious men indeed. To know that you are walking to your death, but to go anyway...
Old Mar 24th 2011, 11:37 PM
Globetrotter

So, hey, looks like this topic is important again?

Japan and all. Now they are saying a nuclear cloud may be drifting from there unto our Kuriles. I even heard the Army and Navy are preparing mass evacuations there.

In the Duma, Vladimir Zhirinovsky,

head of Liberal Democratic Party (also known as 'KGB Party', as it was founded by former agents who constitute half its membership) the court jester, the clown, he who says stupid things to make people laugh and take attention away from the government's screw ups, said that Japan is doing this on purpose, this is a nuclear attack on the Russian Far East. He said some nasty things about Japanese.

That seemed to have riled 'Other Russia Coalition' member Irina Hakamada

who is half-Japanese (father was Japanese Communist who defected to the Soviet Union). Those two shouted at each other for awhile... Was a spectacle, for sure. I have not seen such action in the Duma since the 90s lol Hakamada is a interesting person too... Supposedly fights for the rights and interests of childless couples, and supports abortion; though herself a happy mother of three
(With husband Vladimir Sirotinsky and youngest child, daughter Masha; their sons Danila [middle] and Ivan [oldest] are in university).

That seems a tad hypocritical to me. But irrelevant here.

Anyway, Chernobyl is coming up again, often
Old Mar 27th 2011, 11:25 PM
World Citizen

I just read several articles reporting that radiation suspected to have been from the Japanese plants is falling in the rain in Massachusetts.
Old Mar 28th 2011, 12:22 AM
Globetrotter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHC View Post
I just read several articles reporting that radiation suspected to have been from the Japanese plants is falling in the rain in Massachusetts.
On 'Red Star' (Russian military official newspaper) website, says the Emergency Situations Ministry forces are prepared, if it comes to that, to evacuate the entire population of the Kuril Islands (about 19,000 people), possibly some areas of Sakhalin island (population 580,000); the Combat Fleet [Navy] and the Air Force are both on stand by to assist if necessary.

And in Vladivostok, people are stocking up on iodine, Geiger Counters, gas masks. Canned food is flying off the shelves too.

At schools and kindergardens children are being checked for radiation,

and all imports, especially seafood, from Japan are screened accordingly.
Old Mar 28th 2011, 05:44 AM
Citizen

The only good thing that ever came outta chernobyl was a first person shooter called STALKER. and its sequals.

those were good. Most likely going to be better than any gay ass japanese anime game they are going to come up within the next 10 years about Fukushima- another frigid wanna-be teen dude dressed like a cross between hello kitty and sailor moon by fail SquareEnix.

And just before you scream tasteless- I bet they will do it. Cough, isn't something worse than that already done? lol

Ernesto 'Che' Guevara

Last edited by WFCY; Mar 28th 2011 at 05:49 AM.