Discussion World Forum  

Go Back   Discussion World Forum > Discussion Forums > Computers & Technology

Computers & Technology Computer issues, hardware, software, internet and new technologies.

Old Jul 24th 2009, 10:44 AM
Globetrotter

Default Re: Buying a new laptop

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Drunk Guy View Post
I had a XPS from Dell a couple years ago. With the 9-cell battery, I could use it for an hour or two, but I did have a smaller screen than average. I've heard people talk shit about Dells, but that little guy was a trooper.

I'm currently running on a Toshiba. It gets most jobs done, but it has some bugs that are very annoying. It's not a bad machine, but I'll probably buy something else next time.

I'm considering going Mac because I'm interested in experimenting with some graphic design. PC design programs are outrageously expensive and have steep learning curves.

Oh! And you may want to check this out.
That's interesting about Wal-Mart. With their volume buying power they should have few problems in capturing that market.
Old Jul 24th 2009, 10:52 AM
Official Forum Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael View Post
Yes, I'd be curious about that Dell comment too. We have a formal 'buy-Dell' policy here at the office because they appear to be a much superior supplier to any other and their service is second to none. And yes, I'm the author of that policy here so I am indeed interested in your comment.

As for my own computers, I buy no-name computers from anyone of a couple dozen electronics shops in Chinatown here in Toronto and pay about half the price of any advertised stuff in stores, but this kind of shopping isn't for everyone.
I don't set our policy, but all of our computers are leased from Dell. I can't speak to their service department or prices, but I can speak to hardware reliability, which is excellent. I'd estimate that I've used about 15 Dell computers in my time here with some regularity, and I've never had a single hardware component fail.

Could be the proprietary/odd hardware specs forcing you to buy expensive replacement parts from Dell. I'd imagine that would irritate an individual consumer.
Old Jul 24th 2009, 01:33 PM
Resident Historian

I was a fan of Dell until these last two laptops I've had. Both have been Dells and in both cases the battery life dropped to less than half an hour within the first year, making them essentially little desktops. The AC adapt for the first one died completely after a couple years, which I gathered from forums was a common occurrence with the model. So I bought a new adapter, which became temperamental to movement within a few months. By that time the battery life was literally zero, so if I sneezed while typing the AC adapter would flicker and the computer would lose power and turn off.
The AC adapter for the new one still works fine, but the battery life is down to about 10 minutes.

Anyway, I may have just gotten a bad bunch, but I'm feeling ready to give HP or Toshiba a shot instead of Dell this time.
Old Jul 24th 2009, 01:41 PM
Official Forum Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilettante View Post
I was a fan of Dell until these last two laptops I've had. Both have been Dells and in both cases the battery life dropped to less than half an hour within the first year, making them essentially little desktops. The AC adapt for the first one died completely after a couple years, which I gathered from forums was a common occurrence with the model. So I bought a new adapter, which became temperamental to movement within a few months. By that time the battery life was literally zero, so if I sneezed while typing the AC adapter would flicker and the computer would lose power and turn off.
The AC adapter for the new one still works fine, but the battery life is down to about 10 minutes.

Anyway, I may have just gotten a bad bunch, but I'm feeling ready to give HP or Toshiba a shot instead of Dell this time.
Understandable. I've never had a battery life issue myself, but I also don't really like laptops, and tend rarely to use them on battery.

If you want to maximize battery life, however, I'd suggest looking at the brand and model of processor rather than the hardware manufacturer. The processor's power consumption and behavior are paramount (assuming that all user controlled things, such as screen brightness are equal), with the hardware OEM being relatively unimportant. To a lesser extent things like RAM and disk behavior affect it, but that's really, mostly because of how the processor accesses those things. For instance, more RAM saves battery life because your processor is less frequently navigating disk reads/writes, which are power intensive.

Just a thought.

Edit: By the way, if you want a "graphical" machine, good for gaming, that's murder on battery life. You're generally better off gaming from desktop machines.