Discussion World Forum  

Go Back   Discussion World Forum > Discussion Forums > Sports

Sports Basketball, baseball, football, hockey, soccer, Olympics, World Cup, fantasy leagues and/or anything else sports related.

Old Oct 18th 2014, 02:32 AM
Globetrotter

Thumbs down American nonsense

Quote:
The governing body of women’s tennis has fined the president of the Russian Tennis Federation $25,000 (15,500) and suspended him for a year after he referred to the Williams sisters as “the Williams brothers”.

Shamil Tarpischev, a member of the International Olympic Committee, made the reference on a television chat show last week.

But his remarks were condemned by the chair of the Women’s Tennis Association, Stacey Allaster: “The statements made by Shamil Tarpischev on Russian television with respect to two of the greatest athletes in the history of women’s tennis are insulting, demeaning and have absolutely no place in our sport.

“The WTA was founded on principles of equality, opportunity and respect and Venus and Serena embody all of these attributes. Mr Tarpischev’s statements questioning their genders tarnish our great game and two of our champions. His derogatory remarks deserve to be condemned and he will be sanctioned.”

The WTA also called for Tarpischev – who is the chairman of the board for the Kremlin Cup tournament currently being held in Moscow – to issue a personal apology to the Williams sisters.

Earlier on Friday, the United States Tennis Assocaition (USTA) had described his comments as “reprehensible”.

“As the president of the USTA and a member of the board of directors of the International Tennis Federation, I call on Shamil Tarpischev to issue a formal apology to Venus and Serena Williams,” said a statement from president Dave Haggerty.

“As the president of the Russian Tennis Federation and a member of the International Olympic Committee, Mr Tarpischev is expected to conduct himself with the highest degree of integrity and sportsmanship. Unfortunately, his comments do not embody either of these traits and in fact were reprehensible.”
http://www.theguardian.com/sport/201...rothers-banned

I was not aware the Williamses or any Americans actually watch Russian television. What one Russian told other Russians on Russian television, this is America's business how?

Yes, we are not like you, Americans. We are not politically correct.

We like that our players are as good as yours, yet still manage to look like women

If American men enjoy having their country represented by female athletes that resemble night club buncers wearing short skirts

that is their business. But who are you/they to butt into our country and try to punish our people, officials, for what they say on THEIR OWN TELEVISION, IN THEIR OWN LANGUAGE, which your precious sisters woud never even understand??? This American arrogance is precisely what is creating problems for you in the world. We know, we have a similar affliction
Old Oct 18th 2014, 02:48 AM
Globetrotter

Default Re: American nonsense

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeMyselfAndI View Post
We are not politically correct.
In Russia, being politically correct means sucking up to Putin and being homophobic - so there are plenty of politically correct Russians.
Old Oct 18th 2014, 03:05 AM
Globetrotter

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickKIELCEPoland View Post
In Russia, being politically correct means sucking up to Putin and being homophobic - so there are plenty of politically correct Russians.
No, in Russia, female tennis players look like female tennis players, and NOT like male freestyle wrestlers. If we want to see wrestlers, we buy tickets to a wrestling match. When we come for women's tennis, we expect to observe women playing tennis

I suppose that logic is alien to the Western World now...
Old Oct 18th 2014, 07:21 AM
Official Forum Lutheran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeMyselfAndI View Post
http://www.theguardian.com/sport/201...rothers-banned

I was not aware the Williamses or any Americans actually watch Russian television. What one Russian told other Russians on Russian television, this is America's business how?

Yes, we are not like you, Americans. We are not politically correct.

We like that our players are as good as yours, yet still manage to look like women

If American men enjoy having their country represented by female athletes that resemble night club buncers wearing short skirts

that is their business. But who are you/they to butt into our country and try to punish our people, officials, for what they say on THEIR OWN TELEVISION, IN THEIR OWN LANGUAGE, which your precious sisters woud never even understand??? This American arrogance is precisely what is creating problems for you in the world. We know, we have a similar affliction
If you want to play with the other kids you have to play nice

Plus the Women's Tennis Association, the organization that fined this gentleman, is an international body with headquarters in Beijing and London in addition to America. So this isn't really "American arrogance"

Last edited by Non Sequitur; Oct 18th 2014 at 07:30 AM.
Old Oct 18th 2014, 07:29 AM
Official Forum Lutheran

Also, I don't watch tennis to ogle the women. I watch tennis so I can enjoy a well played competitive sport. Who cares what the Williams sisters look like
Old Oct 18th 2014, 10:08 AM
Globetrotter

Fair enough... Sorry I went off like that. Just that, I know Shamil, personally, he is a good guy who does not deserve being treated this way.
Old Oct 18th 2014, 10:24 AM
Administrator
Herder of Cats

The bottom line is that one is not allowed to use vulgar or insulting language to reference groups of people on television without being taken to task for it.

Dehumanization of an enemy is a favorite tactic - and a recipe for war - and a suitable target for all civilized people.

So, this is actually just Russian nonsense. Some strong American women play competitive tennis. Russian people like to freak out about official social-sex-roles.

Btw, I suspect that it is the color of the American women tennis players that is most disturbing to these Russian media commentators.

And of course, it goes without saying that female tennis players ought to be judged by their skill at playing tennis rather than their attractiveness.
Old Oct 18th 2014, 11:27 AM
Globetrotter

It is not all about race. I mean, to some, maybe indeed it is, we do have plenty of that disease or racial intolerance in our society.

But we also have women of African heritage, "black" women, athletes, like Nkeiruka Ezekh, of the Russian Women's Curling Team

(Russian mother, father originally from Nigeria), who look great

Maybe because our women here value their beauty, knowing that us men appreciate them for it. Unlike America, where, I heard, these days, for a man to compliment a woman for looking good, at work or whatever, is practically a crime against humanity, "misogynistic", etc.

Thank God our society is different.
Old Oct 18th 2014, 11:38 AM
Globetrotter

A really pathetic comment by Shamil Tarpischev.
Old Oct 18th 2014, 12:47 PM
Globetrotter

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickKIELCEPoland View Post
A really pathetic comment by Shamil Tarpischev.
You are just jealous, Nick. I get it: we have Maria Kirilenko up there, and you guys, in Europe, have Conchita Wurst