Discussion World Forum  


Go Back   Discussion World Forum > Discussion Forums > Sports

Sports Basketball, baseball, football, hockey, soccer, Olympics, World Cup, fantasy leagues and/or anything else sports related.

View Poll Results: Should coach be requiredly home grown?
Yes 2 33.33%
No 4 66.67%
Voters: 6. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #31  
Old Feb 12th 2012, 11:34 AM
NickKIELCEPoland's Avatar
NickKIELCEPoland NickKIELCEPoland is offline
Globetrotter
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 8,080
Default Re: Home-grown national coaches

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael View Post
Same game.

On the world market, everything is a commodity.
Well, when all the best players immediately go and play for rich countries, I'll congratulate you on having got your wish.

When Ghana and Paraguay can no longer hope to reach quarter-finals, giving their citizens the kind of street-joy that we saw in those countries two years ago, then I'll congratulate you on having got your wish.

In short, when international football becomes like club football, then I'll congratulate you on having got your wish.

Until then, I'll enjoy it the way it is.
__________________
Europe
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old Feb 12th 2012, 12:21 PM
Donkey's Avatar
Donkey Donkey is offline
Official Forum Mascot
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Northeast Ohio
Posts: 7,771
Default Re: Home-grown national coaches

Quote:
Originally Posted by Americano View Post
Politically correct irrelevance? An illegal immigrant being called undocumented immigrant is similar to calling a burglar an uninvited house guest.
That's a ludicrous comparison.

At any rate an immigrant is someone who comes to stay, legal status notwithstanding.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Americano View Post
Functional differences aside with legal definition being the criteria, are both not illegal?

I've used the politically correct term undocumented worker in forum threads simply because using the correct definition of illegal immigrant sends some posters off on humanitarian tangents.
No. You're simply wrong. Undocumented immigrant, undocumented alien, etc. are the correct and LEGAL definition. Talk to any immigration lawyer.

"Illegal immigrant" is a made up pejorative and its use denotes either ignorance or racism.
__________________
"It is essential that there should be organization of labor. This is an era of organization. Capital organizes and therefore labor must organize."
Theodore Roosevelt
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old Feb 12th 2012, 12:32 PM
NickKIELCEPoland's Avatar
NickKIELCEPoland NickKIELCEPoland is offline
Globetrotter
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 8,080
Default Re: Home-grown national coaches

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donkey View Post
"Illegal immigrant" is a made up pejorative and its use denotes either ignorance or racism.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael View Post
.

While I'm no fan of illegal immigrants, .
???????
__________________
Europe

Last edited by NickKIELCEPoland; Feb 12th 2012 at 12:43 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old Feb 12th 2012, 12:35 PM
Donkey's Avatar
Donkey Donkey is offline
Official Forum Mascot
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Northeast Ohio
Posts: 7,771
Default Re: Home-grown national coaches

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickKIELCEPoland View Post
Donkey, is Michael a racist or an ignoramus?
I don't think anyone on this forum is racist. There is pervasive ignorance toward the correct (legally meaningful) terms with regards to immigration. It's certainly not limited to this forum.
__________________
"It is essential that there should be organization of labor. This is an era of organization. Capital organizes and therefore labor must organize."
Theodore Roosevelt
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old Feb 12th 2012, 12:39 PM
NickKIELCEPoland's Avatar
NickKIELCEPoland NickKIELCEPoland is offline
Globetrotter
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 8,080
Default Re: Home-grown national coaches

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donkey View Post
I don't think anyone on this forum is racist. There is pervasive ignorance toward the correct (legally meaningful) terms with regards to immigration. It's certainly not limited to this forum.
Okay, thank you
__________________
Europe
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old Feb 12th 2012, 12:42 PM
NickKIELCEPoland's Avatar
NickKIELCEPoland NickKIELCEPoland is offline
Globetrotter
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 8,080
Default Re: Home-grown national coaches

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donkey View Post
No. It doesn't matter. The players are from that country. The job of the coach is to bring t he best out in the players. It doesn't matter where he/she is from.
Yes, indeed, the vast majority of players are indeed from the country they represent.
There are exceptions, of course, but, as you say, the vast majority are from the country that they represent.

Long may that continue!
__________________
Europe
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old Feb 12th 2012, 12:46 PM
Donkey's Avatar
Donkey Donkey is offline
Official Forum Mascot
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Northeast Ohio
Posts: 7,771
Default Re: Home-grown national coaches

In the grander scheme of things, it doesn't matter really one iota. However, if the goal is to have some just-for-fun representation of a given nation, it only makes sense to have the entire team be permanent residents.

Otherwise it's just international club soccer, which already exists, so what's the point?
__________________
"It is essential that there should be organization of labor. This is an era of organization. Capital organizes and therefore labor must organize."
Theodore Roosevelt
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old Feb 12th 2012, 12:49 PM
NickKIELCEPoland's Avatar
NickKIELCEPoland NickKIELCEPoland is offline
Globetrotter
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 8,080
Default Re: Home-grown national coaches

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donkey View Post
In the grander scheme of things, it doesn't matter really one iota. However, if the goal is to have some just-for-fun representation of a given nation, it only makes sense to have the entire team be permanent residents.

Otherwise it's just international club soccer, which already exists, so what's the point?
Exactly - it's more FUN to have the players coming from that country.
Race doesn't come into it - having grown up somewhere does.

And as you say, we've already got international club football.
__________________
Europe
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old Feb 12th 2012, 12:51 PM
Donkey's Avatar
Donkey Donkey is offline
Official Forum Mascot
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Northeast Ohio
Posts: 7,771
Default Re: Home-grown national coaches

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickKIELCEPoland View Post
Exactly - it's more FUN to have the players coming from that country.
Race doesn't come into it - having grown up somewhere does.
Just take a look at the French national team.
__________________
"It is essential that there should be organization of labor. This is an era of organization. Capital organizes and therefore labor must organize."
Theodore Roosevelt
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old Feb 12th 2012, 12:52 PM
NickKIELCEPoland's Avatar
NickKIELCEPoland NickKIELCEPoland is offline
Globetrotter
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 8,080
Default Re: Home-grown national coaches

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donkey View Post
Just take a look at the French national team.
Yes, exactly - but they've grown up in France.
So anyone who calls our view on this racist, is talking rubbish.
__________________
Europe
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:16 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2008 - 2017, DiscussionWorldForum.com