Discussion World Forum  

Go Back   Discussion World Forum > Discussion Forums > Sports

Sports Basketball, baseball, football, hockey, soccer, Olympics, World Cup, fantasy leagues and/or anything else sports related.

View Poll Results: Should coach be requiredly home grown?
Yes 2 33.33%
No 4 66.67%
Voters: 6. You may not vote on this poll

Old Feb 11th 2012, 10:26 PM
Globetrotter

Default Re: Home-grown national coaches

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickKIELCEPoland View Post
PS: In English (the British variety) an immigrant is any foreign person who lives in the country, and is not a student. Arshavin is a migrant worker, so an immigrant.
Most definitions of immigrant I'm familiar with include intent to permanently settle in the adopted country, which implies citizenship or legal resident awaiting citizenship. Contract (migrant) and undocumented workers have their own definitions.
Old Feb 11th 2012, 11:53 PM
Official Forum Mascot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Americano View Post
Most definitions of immigrant I'm familiar with include intent to permanently settle in the adopted country, which implies citizenship or legal resident awaiting citizenship. Contract (migrant) and undocumented workers have their own definitions.
Yeah, they're called undocumented immigrants.

Legal status is irrelevant in this case.
Old Feb 12th 2012, 04:12 AM
Globetrotter

Quote:
Exactly - include, rather than denote.
As I said, I was talking about British English, and a person who comes and works in the country is an immigrant. And who on earth arrives in a country and says they're definitely going to live here for ever.
Old Feb 12th 2012, 10:34 AM
Globetrotter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donkey View Post

Politically correct irrelevance? An illegal immigrant being called undocumented immigrant is similar to calling a burglar an uninvited house guest.
Old Feb 12th 2012, 10:44 AM
Administrator
Herder of Cats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donkey View Post

Quote:
Politically correct irrelevance? An illegal immigrant being called undocumented immigrant is similar to calling a burglar an uninvited house guest.
Except for the fact that burglars are trying to sneak in to steal stuff, while 'undocumented' immigrants aren't robbing the country of anything, but they do contribute labor and taxes in return for wages. That's more than a slight difference there.
Old Feb 12th 2012, 10:56 AM
Administrator
Herder of Cats

Getting back to the actual thread topic here, I do think it is silly to require national coaches of any sport to be of some specified ethnicity or citizenship.

First of all, rules about ethnicity, nationality, citizenship are highly questionable to begin with - given that they are all terms that can be re-defined, re-designated and outright changed with little pieces of officially stamped bureaucratic papers - issued by self-serving government actors.

Secondly, coaches are like teachers in that they educate and inspire their players to perform better. And when it comes to teachers, international diversity is always held to be a good thing, so that one gets the benefit of the best practices. Creating rules to limit teachers/coaches to only those who are locally born is a policy that can and will prevent the best teachers/coaches from getting hired where they are needed most - while ensuring that the 'old boys network' will remain in control, running their sports teams (or schools) like petty little fiefdoms.
Old Feb 12th 2012, 11:06 AM
Globetrotter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael View Post
Except for the fact that burglars are trying to sneak in to steal stuff, while 'undocumented' immigrants aren't robbing the country of anything, but they do contribute labor and taxes in return for wages. That's more than a slight difference there.
Functional differences aside with legal definition being the criteria, are both not illegal?

I've used the politically correct term undocumented worker in forum threads simply because using the correct definition of illegal immigrant sends some posters off on humanitarian tangents.
Old Feb 12th 2012, 11:19 AM
Administrator
Herder of Cats

Quote:
Functional differences aside with legal definition being the criteria, are both not illegal?
Yes, but only because of politically defined legal definitions being the criteria in question.

While I'm no fan of illegal immigrants, I'm even less a fan of American political hypocrisy on the topic - American business, American governments at various levels and American society has a long history of essentially inviting, encouraging, facilitating and hiring 'illegal' Hispanic immigrants - then pretending those workers are criminals when the political winds change direction.

Quote:
I've used the politically correct term undocumented worker in forum threads simply because using the correct definition of illegal immigrant sends some posters off on humanitarian tangents.
Yes it does do that sometimes.

I don't have a problem with the term 'illegal immigrant' as it strikes me as reasonably accurate one. I can well understand the objection to the earlier term of "illegal alien" which really is rather defamatory. The effort to redefine the term as 'undocumented immigrant' is just typical PR-spin in the ongoing US political war on the topic.
Old Feb 12th 2012, 11:25 AM
Globetrotter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael View Post
Getting back to the actual thread topic here, I do think it is silly to require national coaches of any sport to be of some specified ethnicity or citizenship.

First of all, rules about ethnicity, nationality, citizenship are highly questionable to begin with - given that they are all terms that can be re-defined, re-designated and outright changed with little pieces of officially stamped bureaucratic papers - issued by self-serving government actors.

Secondly, coaches are like teachers in that they educate and inspire their players to perform better. And when it comes to teachers, international diversity is always held to be a good thing, so that one gets the benefit of the best practices. Creating rules to limit teachers/coaches to only those who are locally born is a policy that can and will prevent the best teachers/coaches from getting hired where they are needed most - while ensuring that the 'old boys network' will remain in control, running their sports teams (or schools) like petty little fiefdoms.
What about the players?
Old Feb 12th 2012, 11:30 AM
Administrator
Herder of Cats

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickKIELCEPoland View Post
What about the players?
Same game.

On the world market, everything is a commodity.