Discussion World Forum  

Go Back   Discussion World Forum > Other Forums > Travel

Travel Where have you been? Where are you planning to go? Where would you like to go?

Old Jun 4th 2009, 12:14 PM
World Citizen

Default Re: Driving to Maine

Quote:
Originally Posted by drgoodtrips View Post
What are lobstrosities? That sounds familiar. Is that from the Gunslinger series?
Yes. They're the guys who eat off half of the Gunslinger's hand.

For a good time call Judges 19:24-30
Old Jun 4th 2009, 09:56 PM
Resident Historian

Made it safely to Maine (what a beautiful state!).

I can also strongly recommend The Great Train Robbery, by Michael Crichton which I listened to on the way up here. I'm not really a fan of Crichton, but this was stunningly different from anything of his that I've seen before (I think it was from his pre-Jurassic Park days).
Old Jun 4th 2009, 09:59 PM
World Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilettante View Post

I can also strongly recommend The Great Train Robbery, by Michael Crichton which I listened to on the way up here. I'm not really a fan of Crichton, but this was stunningly different from anything of his that I've seen before (I think it was from his pre-Jurassic Park days).
I've only listened to one book on tape years ago on a trip with my mother. Is it as enjoyable as reading?
Old Jun 4th 2009, 11:09 PM
Resident Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by partofme View Post
I've only listened to one book on tape years ago on a trip with my mother. Is it as enjoyable as reading?
Depends on the book and who's reading it. Generally I prefer doing my own reading (though obviously not while driving), and a lousy reader can really ruin a good book.
On the other hand, I've read a number of Bill Bryson's books and then later listened to the audio version (Bryson does his own readings), and I have to say that the listening is actually better since he knows just what tone he meant to have and just where he meant to pause for dramatic effect.
Old Jun 5th 2009, 07:14 AM
Bad Motherfucker

Quote:
Coincidentally, the only audio-book I've ever tried was Jurassic Park when I was in middle school. I didn't care for it because I had just read the book and realized that they cut out sections for time.
Old Jun 5th 2009, 10:49 AM
Official Forum Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilettante View Post

Yeah, that's a good one. I actually listened to it on CD as well, some years back. I spent what would have been my final semester of college just driving around the country (I graduated early). I loaded up with a whole bunch of books on CD, including that and The Old Man and the Sea.

I remember enjoying that book because it painted such a vivid picture of 1800's London. I particularly enjoyed the description about being on a moving train, since at that time, people were unfamiliar with those kinds of speeds and how strong the wind would get... having no concept of it since it was unprecedented.
Old Jun 5th 2009, 10:50 AM
Official Forum Geek

Quote:
It's kind of weird because you don't know if you should describe your action regarding the book as "I've read...".
Old Jun 5th 2009, 10:56 AM
World Citizen

Quote:
It's kind of weird because you don't know if you should describe your action regarding the book as "I've read...".
I knew a guy that downloaded a bunch of audio books and offered to let me have them but I declined. I think it would be great for a solo road trip but as far as me just sitting in a room and listening I can't imagine doing that.
Old Jun 5th 2009, 12:18 PM
Official Forum Geek

Quote:
I knew a guy that downloaded a bunch of audio books and offered to let me have them but I declined. I think it would be great for a solo road trip but as far as me just sitting in a room and listening I can't imagine doing that.
I often have occasion to take car trips on business. This is when I "read" books on CD most often these days. An interesting (annoying) effect of this is that I'm often halfway through a book when I get home. I find that I have to make a concerted effort to bother listening to the rest of it, even though I want to. The only time I'm ever naturally inclined to "read" in this fashion is when I'm on a car trip.
Old Jun 5th 2009, 11:41 PM
Resident Historian

Quote:
I often have occasion to take car trips on business. This is when I "read" books on CD most often these days. An interesting (annoying) effect of this is that I'm often halfway through a book when I get home. I find that I have to make a concerted effort to bother listening to the rest of it, even though I want to. The only time I'm ever naturally inclined to "read" in this fashion is when I'm on a car trip.
My mother throws pots as a hobby/side-business, and when she has a bunch of orders come in she can spend all week down in her studio making piece after piece on the wheel. Those weeks she just burns through audio books like crazy. I think she's listened to just about everything her local library has to offer (the extensive section of self-help books excepted).