Discussion World Forum  


Go Back   Discussion World Forum > Discussion Forums > Architecture & Urban Design

Architecture & Urban Design Buildings, houses, mass transit, density, urban sprawl or anything related to architecture.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old Jul 2nd 2014, 09:22 PM
MeMyselfAndI MeMyselfAndI is offline
Globetrotter
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Moscow, Russia
Posts: 6,453
Default Moscow Metro security, complicated question

Down in Moscow's Metropoliten, our huge subway system, you can encounter all sorts of personnel tasked with maintaining order and security.

There is the police, the MVD Transport Division




They have dog units

and even their own anti-riot squads down there

(you see a lot of these guys out in force during big football games, when many drunk and rowdy fans and "hooligans" ride the lines, lots of fights and such during that time)

The police are reinforced by private security guards

from a number of companies, the biggest being ChOP (private security agency) "Kalibr"
The private guards have the authority to arrest, but are not allowed to carry firearms, only police can do that.

There are also guards from the municipal government-owned "Metro Security Service"


There are also the "red armbands", the volunteer citizen patrolmen

mainly young guys with nothing much better to do, who mostly go after those they perceive as illegal immigrants (i.e. anybody who doesn't look Slavic enough lol)

There are also the "Controllers"

They work for a government-owned company called "GKU Transport Organizer", and their job is to "control" that everyone pays their fares. They check tickets.

Of all those, again, only the police are allowed to carry guns. From guards, volunteers, and lately even some of the Controllers, however, you can certainly expect truncheons, pepper spray, and electric shockers, as well as handcuffs.

There are also the women in red hats, the station attendants. There are several per station, couple patrol the platforms

others sit in booths at the bottom of the escalators

while others yet watch the turnstiles at the entrances, to ensure nobody tries to jump over without a ticket, and if they do, quickly summon police or guards for help and catch the cheating bastards



The Metro can be a violent, dangerous place, especially in the late hours


It takes all those people above to maintain a semblance of order and safety down there.

There is controversy, however. For example, some human rights activists object to private guards and civilian volunteer patrolmen being allowed to arrest people. What do you all think? Is that indeed unreasonable?
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old Jul 3rd 2014, 07:40 PM
Michael's Avatar
Michael Michael is offline
Administrator
Herder of Cats
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Toronto
Posts: 14,823
Default Re: Moscow Metro security, complicated question

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeMyselfAndI View Post
There is controversy, however. For example, some human rights activists object to private guards and civilian volunteer patrolmen being allowed to arrest people. What do you all think? Is that indeed unreasonable?
It is always problematic in practice.

No offense, but over here private/civilian security services have a bad reputation, only surpassed by volunteer security services. I think we have enough problems with professional state security services.

State sponsored violence tends to breed more violence.
__________________
Remember what the dormouse said: Feed your head!
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old Jul 4th 2014, 01:33 AM
MeMyselfAndI MeMyselfAndI is offline
Globetrotter
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Moscow, Russia
Posts: 6,453
Default Re: Moscow Metro security, complicated question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael View Post
It is always problematic in practice.

No offense, but over here private/civilian security services have a bad reputation, only surpassed by volunteer security services. I think we have enough problems with professional state security services.

State sponsored violence tends to breed more violence.
There are qualification and professionalism issues here as well. Not to mention there is much less respect for human rights and dignities here too...
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old Jul 5th 2014, 09:06 AM
Michael's Avatar
Michael Michael is offline
Administrator
Herder of Cats
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Toronto
Posts: 14,823
Default Re: Moscow Metro security, complicated question

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeMyselfAndI View Post
There are qualification and professionalism issues here as well. Not to mention there is much less respect for human rights and dignities here too...
Which is all the more reason not to trust amateurs and volunteers for they are the most likely to lack respect for human rights and dignity of all people.

I know Russia has problems with violence, but sponsoring more violence in response isn't a solution - it is escalation.

I believe the violence problem is systemic. I think that banning lead would do wonders for Russia, but that solution takes many years. The evidence for the theory that lead contamination breeds violence keeps increasing steadily.
__________________
Remember what the dormouse said: Feed your head!
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old Jul 5th 2014, 11:54 AM
NickKIELCEPoland's Avatar
NickKIELCEPoland NickKIELCEPoland is offline
Globetrotter
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 8,080
Default Re: Moscow Metro security, complicated question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael View Post
Which is all the more reason not to trust amateurs and volunteers for they are the most likely to lack respect for human rights and dignity of all people.

I know Russia has problems with violence, but sponsoring more violence in response isn't a solution - it is escalation.

I believe the violence problem is systemic. I think that banning lead would do wonders for Russia, but that solution takes many years. The evidence for the theory that lead contamination breeds violence keeps increasing steadily.
That is true - YouYourselfAndYou, do you think, or don't you think, that your employees have contacts among the very groups that you are supposed to be protecting your clients against? And if the answer is that you do think so, do such contacts help ensure the groups whom you're supposed to be protecting your clients againt, continue to thrive and provide you with clients?
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old Jul 5th 2014, 02:15 PM
MeMyselfAndI MeMyselfAndI is offline
Globetrotter
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Moscow, Russia
Posts: 6,453
Default Re: Moscow Metro security, complicated question

Lead, you mentioned before. I agree that is an issue here, it is used in plumbing in old buildings, etc. Only thing to be done about that is gradual replacement. It is expensive.

Nick, not sure what you mean. None of my employees, personally, are friends with criminals, at least to my knowledge... Although, yes, I do know people who belong to organized crime groups. That is inevitable here, when you work with big business. Most big businessmen are mafia. Just the way it is...
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old Jul 5th 2014, 02:21 PM
NickKIELCEPoland's Avatar
NickKIELCEPoland NickKIELCEPoland is offline
Globetrotter
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 8,080
Default Re: Moscow Metro security, complicated question

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeMyselfAndI View Post
Lead, you mentioned before. I agree that is an issue here, it is used in plumbing in old buildings, etc. Only thing to be done about that is gradual replacement. It is expensive.

Nick, not sure what you mean. None of my employees, personally, are friends with criminals, at least to my knowledge... Although, yes, I do know people who belong to organized crime groups. That is inevitable here, when you work with big business. Most big businessmen are mafia. Just the way it is...
My question was what do you think?
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old Jul 5th 2014, 02:27 PM
NickKIELCEPoland's Avatar
NickKIELCEPoland NickKIELCEPoland is offline
Globetrotter
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 8,080
Default Re: Moscow Metro security, complicated question

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeMyselfAndI View Post
I do know people who belong to organized crime groups.
Do you ever do anything to help their groups' activities?
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old Jul 5th 2014, 02:32 PM
MeMyselfAndI MeMyselfAndI is offline
Globetrotter
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Moscow, Russia
Posts: 6,453
Default Re: Moscow Metro security, complicated question

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickKIELCEPoland View Post
My question was what do you think?
I do not think. I think one guy who works at the firm, his brother spent time in prison camps and knows plenty of gangsters and such people. But they are not really so close, the two of them. Evgeny, the guy who works for me, he does not want his son to be anywhere near his brother, or the boy may become like him too...

But sure, as I said, I have "contacts" in that world. Do I think it brings me more business? It does. Lots of them are in need of qualified security and do not trust their own goons to sufficiently protect them, prefer professionals instead.

I did not create the mafia, however. Their existence and what they do, I am not responsible for that. I have my ethics too. I would not let my people perform and criminal tasks for them, like assassinations, or debt collections. Security only. I have nothing to feel shame about.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old Jul 5th 2014, 02:33 PM
MeMyselfAndI MeMyselfAndI is offline
Globetrotter
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Moscow, Russia
Posts: 6,453
Default Re: Moscow Metro security, complicated question

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickKIELCEPoland View Post
Do you ever do anything to help their groups' activities?
No. Aside from preserving their lives, no.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:33 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2008 - 2017, DiscussionWorldForum.com