Discussion World Forum  

Go Back   Discussion World Forum > Discussion Forums > Architecture & Urban Design

Architecture & Urban Design Buildings, houses, mass transit, density, urban sprawl or anything related to architecture.

Old Jul 2nd 2014, 09:22 PM
Globetrotter

Default Moscow Metro security, complicated question

Down in Moscow's Metropoliten, our huge subway system, you can encounter all sorts of personnel tasked with maintaining order and security.

There is the police, the MVD Transport Division

They have dog units

and even their own anti-riot squads down there

(you see a lot of these guys out in force during big football games, when many drunk and rowdy fans and "hooligans" ride the lines, lots of fights and such during that time)

The police are reinforced by private security guards

from a number of companies, the biggest being ChOP (private security agency) "Kalibr"
The private guards have the authority to arrest, but are not allowed to carry firearms, only police can do that.

There are also guards from the municipal government-owned "Metro Security Service"

There are also the "red armbands", the volunteer citizen patrolmen

mainly young guys with nothing much better to do, who mostly go after those they perceive as illegal immigrants (i.e. anybody who doesn't look Slavic enough lol)

There are also the "Controllers"

They work for a government-owned company called "GKU Transport Organizer", and their job is to "control" that everyone pays their fares. They check tickets.

Of all those, again, only the police are allowed to carry guns. From guards, volunteers, and lately even some of the Controllers, however, you can certainly expect truncheons, pepper spray, and electric shockers, as well as handcuffs.

There are also the women in red hats, the station attendants. There are several per station, couple patrol the platforms

others sit in booths at the bottom of the escalators

while others yet watch the turnstiles at the entrances, to ensure nobody tries to jump over without a ticket, and if they do, quickly summon police or guards for help and catch the cheating bastards

The Metro can be a violent, dangerous place, especially in the late hours

It takes all those people above to maintain a semblance of order and safety down there.

There is controversy, however. For example, some human rights activists object to private guards and civilian volunteer patrolmen being allowed to arrest people. What do you all think? Is that indeed unreasonable?
Old Jul 3rd 2014, 07:40 PM
Administrator
Herder of Cats

Default Re: Moscow Metro security, complicated question

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeMyselfAndI View Post
There is controversy, however. For example, some human rights activists object to private guards and civilian volunteer patrolmen being allowed to arrest people. What do you all think? Is that indeed unreasonable?
It is always problematic in practice.

No offense, but over here private/civilian security services have a bad reputation, only surpassed by volunteer security services. I think we have enough problems with professional state security services.

State sponsored violence tends to breed more violence.
Old Jul 4th 2014, 01:33 AM
Globetrotter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael View Post
It is always problematic in practice.

No offense, but over here private/civilian security services have a bad reputation, only surpassed by volunteer security services. I think we have enough problems with professional state security services.

State sponsored violence tends to breed more violence.
There are qualification and professionalism issues here as well. Not to mention there is much less respect for human rights and dignities here too...
Old Jul 5th 2014, 09:06 AM
Administrator
Herder of Cats

Quote:
There are qualification and professionalism issues here as well. Not to mention there is much less respect for human rights and dignities here too...
Which is all the more reason not to trust amateurs and volunteers for they are the most likely to lack respect for human rights and dignity of all people.

I know Russia has problems with violence, but sponsoring more violence in response isn't a solution - it is escalation.

I believe the violence problem is systemic. I think that banning lead would do wonders for Russia, but that solution takes many years. The evidence for the theory that lead contamination breeds violence keeps increasing steadily.
Old Jul 5th 2014, 11:54 AM
Globetrotter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael View Post
Which is all the more reason not to trust amateurs and volunteers for they are the most likely to lack respect for human rights and dignity of all people.

I know Russia has problems with violence, but sponsoring more violence in response isn't a solution - it is escalation.

I believe the violence problem is systemic. I think that banning lead would do wonders for Russia, but that solution takes many years. The evidence for the theory that lead contamination breeds violence keeps increasing steadily.
That is true - YouYourselfAndYou, do you think, or don't you think, that your employees have contacts among the very groups that you are supposed to be protecting your clients against? And if the answer is that you do think so, do such contacts help ensure the groups whom you're supposed to be protecting your clients againt, continue to thrive and provide you with clients?
Old Jul 5th 2014, 02:15 PM
Globetrotter

Lead, you mentioned before. I agree that is an issue here, it is used in plumbing in old buildings, etc. Only thing to be done about that is gradual replacement. It is expensive.

Nick, not sure what you mean. None of my employees, personally, are friends with criminals, at least to my knowledge... Although, yes, I do know people who belong to organized crime groups. That is inevitable here, when you work with big business. Most big businessmen are mafia. Just the way it is...
Old Jul 5th 2014, 02:21 PM
Globetrotter

Quote:
Lead, you mentioned before. I agree that is an issue here, it is used in plumbing in old buildings, etc. Only thing to be done about that is gradual replacement. It is expensive.

Nick, not sure what you mean. None of my employees, personally, are friends with criminals, at least to my knowledge... Although, yes, I do know people who belong to organized crime groups. That is inevitable here, when you work with big business. Most big businessmen are mafia. Just the way it is...
My question was what do you think?
Old Jul 5th 2014, 02:27 PM
Globetrotter

Quote:
I do know people who belong to organized crime groups.
Do you ever do anything to help their groups' activities?
Old Jul 5th 2014, 02:32 PM
Globetrotter

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickKIELCEPoland View Post
My question was what do you think?
I do not think. I think one guy who works at the firm, his brother spent time in prison camps and knows plenty of gangsters and such people. But they are not really so close, the two of them. Evgeny, the guy who works for me, he does not want his son to be anywhere near his brother, or the boy may become like him too...

But sure, as I said, I have "contacts" in that world. Do I think it brings me more business? It does. Lots of them are in need of qualified security and do not trust their own goons to sufficiently protect them, prefer professionals instead.

I did not create the mafia, however. Their existence and what they do, I am not responsible for that. I have my ethics too. I would not let my people perform and criminal tasks for them, like assassinations, or debt collections. Security only. I have nothing to feel shame about.
Old Jul 5th 2014, 02:33 PM
Globetrotter

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickKIELCEPoland View Post
Do you ever do anything to help their groups' activities?
No. Aside from preserving their lives, no.