Discussion World Forum  

Go Back   Discussion World Forum > Discussion Forums > Science

Science From your kid's science project to relativity, this is the place to discuss it.

Old Mar 11th 2010, 12:13 PM
Official Forum Geek

Default Re: Insomnia

Funny to see this thread here. I don't usually have trouble with insomnia, but periodically I have a night where I simply cannot go to sleep. This happened to me last night. I didn't fall asleep until 5 AM. I think the culprit for me is that I'll doze off for 10-15 minutes and then something wakes me up. Waking after what amounts to a "power nap" can cause me actually to feel artificially refreshed and restless.

I don't have any solution to offer for the problem. When it happens to me, I've learned not to fight it. Nothing is worse than laying in bed, watching the clock change and estimating how you can still get 5 hours if you just fall asleep in the next 10 minutes or whatever. So, I get up and do something. Usually I'll play a video game or read or something easy on the brain. After doing that for a while, I go back to bed, and usually then can fall asleep. If I can't, I just repeat the process. The next day tends to suck a bit, but c'est la vie.

I'm also lucky in that I can function on relatively little sleep. I like to get 7-8 hours per night, but honestly, I can get 5-6 per night all week and not really feel overly sleep deprived.
Old Mar 11th 2010, 12:24 PM
Resident Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Americano View Post
I'd think that discipline could have a negative impact on his sex life.
It would just call for a little bit of extra creativity.
Old Mar 11th 2010, 01:07 PM
Resident Anthropologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by drgoodtrips View Post
I'm also lucky in that I can function on relatively little sleep. I like to get 7-8 hours per night, but honestly, I can get 5-6 per night all week and not really feel overly sleep deprived.
You must not have small children in your life! I'm currently getting a regular sleep of 4-5 hours per night. Sometimes it's less. All of you who believe that having children is a selfish act can bite me!
Old Mar 11th 2010, 01:55 PM
Bad Motherfucker

I'm a nightowl and it took some dedication to get a decent sleep pattern. At first, I used living without cable to an advantage. Without tv telling me when the good shows were on, I could go to bed at 8 if that was when I got tired. As for the trouble with thinking too much, mindless activities like games help, but the best is to just not lay in bed until you're tired. It may take a while, but your clock will eventually reset.
Old Mar 11th 2010, 07:42 PM
This wine needs more whisky

I was an insomniac there for awhile, but the prescription I was given was for depression and insomnia. I stopped taking the meds and I eventually grew out of staying up all night. I really am not sure if it was the meds that helped or the fact that I was back at home and having parents that made me go to bed and get up with my 5 and 8 year old siblings. It definitely isn't fun at all by any means (when you start looking forward to Mama's Family and Saved By the Bell on TBS in the mornings you're really fucked up! )

Have you tried talking with a doctor?
Old Mar 11th 2010, 08:06 PM
Villager

Up until about 8 years ago I always had trouble getting to sleep, usually staying awake until 3 or 4 in the morning. Since then I have a 'smoke' and, after a quick snack, I have no problem sleeping.

If I don't have anything available then my alternative is melatonin, which seems to help my mind relax enough to go to sleep. I prefer it to sleeping pills because it doesn't leave me feeling groggy the next day and I feel I've had a good rest.
Old Mar 11th 2010, 08:17 PM
Globetrotter

Quote:
Originally Posted by drgoodtrips View Post
Funny to see this thread here. I don't usually have trouble with insomnia, but periodically I have a night where I simply cannot go to sleep. This happened to me last night. I didn't fall asleep until 5 AM. I think the culprit for me is that I'll doze off for 10-15 minutes and then something wakes me up. Waking after what amounts to a "power nap" can cause me actually to feel artificially refreshed and restless.

I don't have any solution to offer for the problem. When it happens to me, I've learned not to fight it. Nothing is worse than laying in bed, watching the clock change and estimating how you can still get 5 hours if you just fall asleep in the next 10 minutes or whatever. So, I get up and do something. Usually I'll play a video game or read or something easy on the brain. After doing that for a while, I go back to bed, and usually then can fall asleep. If I can't, I just repeat the process. The next day tends to suck a bit, but c'est la vie.

5-6 hours per night is about max when the career gets really wound up and multiple time zones are involved.
Old Mar 11th 2010, 08:30 PM
World Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Drunk Girl View Post
I was an insomniac there for awhile, but the prescription I was given was for depression and insomnia. I stopped taking the meds and I eventually grew out of staying up all night. I really am not sure if it was the meds that helped or the fact that I was back at home and having parents that made me go to bed and get up with my 5 and 8 year old siblings. It definitely isn't fun at all by any means (when you start looking forward to Mama's Family and Saved By the Bell on TBS in the mornings you're really fucked up! )

Have you tried talking with a doctor?
I have. That's why I have Trazodone.
Old Mar 11th 2010, 09:36 PM
Globetrotter

Quote:
Originally Posted by partofme View Post
I have. That's why I have Trazodone.
I looked it up, primary approval for treatment of clinical depression. "However, it is also often used "off-label" as a sleep aid, even though it is not approved for this use."

http://depression.emedtv.com/trazodo...sleep-aid.html
Old Mar 11th 2010, 09:40 PM
World Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Americano View Post
I looked it up, primary approval for treatment of clinical depression. "However, it is also often used "off-label" as a sleep aid, even though it is not approved for this use."

http://depression.emedtv.com/trazodo...sleep-aid.html
The main reason I was prescribed it is because it isn't habit forming and is milder than Ambien and Lunesta. I thought about eventually trying one of those but I would like to avoid it if possible. When my wife was about to have our second child she was prescribed Ambien and I took one for myself one night. I wasn't able to sleep but I had a very strange experience on it. Sort of like dreaming while I was awake.