Discussion World Forum  

Go Back   Discussion World Forum > Discussion Forums > Computers & Technology

Computers & Technology Computer issues, hardware, software, internet and new technologies.

View Poll Results: Do you support net neutrality as a goal?
Yes - the net should remain neutral 13 86.67%
No - private companies can do whatever they like to make profits 1 6.67%
I don't know - this topic is very complicated 1 6.67%
I just like voting in polls 0 0%
Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll

Old Sep 21st 2009, 10:43 AM
Administrator
Herder of Cats

Default Net Neutrality

I'm curious if anyone is following this complicated issue.

Here's a brief primer on the topic (from a pro-neutrality perspective).

Quote:
One of the blogosphere's pet topics, net neutrality, is back in the limelight. When we last heard from our heroes at the FCC, they had adopted a set of four "principles" that basically said service providers should allow their customers access to any content and any application on the internet, should allow connection of any device, and should have to compete with other service providers.

That was all well and good, but a principle is a pretty thin reed to rely on and most liberals (as well as most content providers) thought that actual regulations would be a little more comforting. We further thought that although guaranteeing access to any content was fine, we'd also like some assurance that quality of access to content was guaranteed too. After all, access to YouTube isn't very useful if, say, Verizon decides to slow all YouTube connections to a crawl in order to lure people to its own video site instead.
Net Neutrality is Back

And that's what the whole issue boils down to. Should network service providers be permitted to determine traffic speeds based on what content is being transmitted (with network providers favoring their own content offerings and penalizing competitor's content or politically uncorrect content).

So do you support the principle of net neutrality or a fully private market?
Old Sep 21st 2009, 10:50 AM
Official Forum Lutheran

Default Re: Net Neutrality

If i am going to be honest I must "I don't know" because i don't really understand the topic, but my gut instinct is to say the less government interferes in information networks the better.
Old Sep 21st 2009, 11:01 AM
World Citizen

What's the difference between neutrality and independence? Is the internet supposed to be a public good? If it is, how is neutrality supposed to be enforced when the internet is an international asset? This isn't the '90s and the U.S. doesn't have a monopoly on bandwidth any longer.
Old Sep 21st 2009, 11:07 AM
Globetrotter

Without neutrality the net will through acquisitions become dominated by a few AOL types of monopolies with content limited to favor their advertisers.
Old Sep 21st 2009, 11:10 AM
World Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Americano View Post
Without neutrality the net will through acquisitions become dominated by a few AOL types of monopolies with content limited to favor their advertisers.
Why's that a bad thing? If anything, it should crackdown on violations of intellectual property rights and force consumers to appreciate information flow more instead of relishing in abundance and cultivating cultures that are addicted to information overload.
Old Sep 21st 2009, 11:18 AM
Globetrotter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daktoria View Post
Why's that a bad thing? If anything, it should crackdown on violations of intellectual property rights and force consumers to appreciate information flow more instead of relishing in abundance and cultivating cultures that are addicted to information overload.
Since I consider intellectual property rights a government approved and enforced monopoly for no good purpose, I prefer abundance, making my own choices and new cultures.
Old Sep 21st 2009, 11:20 AM
World Citizen

Why are your own choices and cultures important though when they're going to be subverted under the tide of the mob, a mob that celebrates and panics over gluttony?
Old Sep 21st 2009, 11:23 AM
Administrator
Herder of Cats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daktoria View Post
I hold that the greatest threat to intellectual property rights are large multinational corporations with big fat budgets to bribe governments with to permit their "claims" of perpetual intellectual property - particularly when this includes stealing from the public domain (see Disney).

Intellectual property rights exist to inspire/reward creativity. They ought not to be considered as tools to maintain corporate monopolies (as they they so often are explicitly used for).
Old Sep 21st 2009, 11:25 AM
Administrator
Herder of Cats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Americano View Post
Yes - just like television. That model worked for the corporations and their advertisers and they are pissed that same model is now failing in the face of independent competition from the internet.

The corporate solution is to make the internet work just like television - exclusive government mandated monopolies by large private corporations.

I respectfully submit that if the television model was the best one, then the present form of the internet wouldn't be putting television networks out of business (as they are on track to do).

Since they are losing in the markets, the largest corporations are going to try to use their power to buy a monopoly from the government to eliminate the pesky independent media of the internet. I can't imagine anyone is surprised by that. That's what corporations do - they seek to eliminate competition so that profits can be maximized.
Old Sep 21st 2009, 11:40 AM
Globetrotter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael View Post
Yes - just like television. That model worked for the corporations and their advertisers and they are pissed that same model is now failing in the face of independent competition from the internet.

The corporate solution is to make the internet work just like television - exclusive government mandated monopolies by large private corporations.

I respectfully submit that if the television model was the best one, then the present form of the internet wouldn't be putting television networks out of business (as they are on track to do).

Since they are losing in the markets, the largest corporations are going to try to use their power to buy a monopoly from the government to eliminate the pesky independent media of the internet. I can't imagine anyone is surprised by that. That's what corporations do - they seek to eliminate competition so that profits can be maximized.
Government regulation has always been instigated by the private sector to eliminate competition.