Discussion World Forum  


Go Back   Discussion World Forum > Discussion Forums > Science

Science From your kid's science project to relativity, this is the place to discuss it.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #101  
Old Feb 28th 2014, 09:08 AM
pramjockey's Avatar
pramjockey pramjockey is offline
World Citizen
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Littleton, CO
Posts: 1,051
Default Re: Homosexuality and Evolution

Quote:
Originally Posted by shekib82 View Post
wrong on both counts.
What, because you say so?

Reply With Quote
  #102  
Old Feb 28th 2014, 06:44 PM
Michael's Avatar
Michael Michael is offline
Administrator
Herder of Cats
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Toronto
Posts: 14,835
Default Re: Homosexuality and Evolution

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramjockey View Post
What, because you say so?



You might think that a self-professed Catholic ought to be familiar with official Roman Catholic doctrine on this particular issue before making pronouncements about it, but I guess not.

Donkey is entirely correct about Roman Catholic doctrine and 'Adam & Eve'. The official doctrine accepts the principal of evolution under the analogy of the 'watchmaker'.
__________________
Remember what the dormouse said: Feed your head!
Reply With Quote
  #103  
Old Feb 28th 2014, 11:20 PM
shekib82 shekib82 is offline
Globetrotter
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 3,134
Default Re: Homosexuality and Evolution

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael View Post


You might think that a self-professed Catholic ought to be familiar with official Roman Catholic doctrine on this particular issue before making pronouncements about it, but I guess not.

Donkey is entirely correct about Roman Catholic doctrine and 'Adam & Eve'. The official doctrine accepts the principal of evolution under the analogy of the 'watchmaker'.
they say it is possible. they don't accept it...
Reply With Quote
  #104  
Old Mar 1st 2014, 01:40 AM
Non Sequitur's Avatar
Non Sequitur Non Sequitur is offline
Official Forum Lutheran
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: The Kingdom on the Left and the Right
Posts: 2,142
Default Re: Homosexuality and Evolution

Quote:
Originally Posted by shekib82 View Post
they say it is possible. they don't accept it...
I don't like the "evolution vs creationism" debate because it is distraction from the real point of Genesis, but John Paul II said this

Quote:
In his encyclical Humani Generis (1950), my predecessor Pius XII has already affirmed that there is no conflict between evolution and the doctrine of the faith regarding man and his vocation, provided that we do not lose sight of certain fixed points.... Today, more than a half-century after the appearance of that encyclical, some new findings lead us toward the recognition of evolution as more than a hypothesis. In fact it is remarkable that this theory has had progressively greater influence on the spirit of researchers, following a series of discoveries in different scholarly disciplines. The convergence in the results of these independent studiesówhich was neither planned nor soughtóconstitutes in itself a significant argument in favor of the theory.
source

The Catholic position is officially a lot more than mere toleration. As long as a person believes that God was/is control of the process than there isn't really a problem with evolution.
__________________
Lighten our darkness.
Reply With Quote
  #105  
Old Mar 1st 2014, 03:10 AM
NickKIELCEPoland's Avatar
NickKIELCEPoland NickKIELCEPoland is offline
Globetrotter
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 8,082
Default Re: Homosexuality and Evolution

Richard Dawkins is an evolutionary biologist. I recommend watching some youtube clips where he speaks.
__________________
Europe
Reply With Quote
  #106  
Old Mar 1st 2014, 09:49 AM
Dominick's Avatar
Dominick Dominick is offline
Globetrotter
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Dying Europe
Posts: 3,837
Default Re: Homosexuality and Evolution

Quote:
Originally Posted by shekib82 View Post
And Dominick, provide an authorative link about how the mutation chemical reactions are well understood.
Try any decent textbook on organic chemistry followed by a more specific one on DNA chemistry. It's called education

Quote:
Originally Posted by shekib82 View Post
As for Newton and imaginary time read what I wrote again and then respond.
All you offered before were some vague, imprecise or incorrect claims. Complex numbers are centuries old and extremely useful. Imaginary time is older than Hawking and also very useful. It doesn't matter whether they 'exist' in the sense an apple 'exists'. That's also Hawking's viewpoint.
Reply With Quote
  #107  
Old Mar 1st 2014, 10:52 AM
shekib82 shekib82 is offline
Globetrotter
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 3,134
Default Re: Homosexuality and Evolution

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominick View Post
Try any decent textbook on organic chemistry followed by a more specific one on DNA chemistry. It's called education


All you offered before were some vague, imprecise or incorrect claims. Complex numbers are centuries old and extremely useful. Imaginary time is older than Hawking and also very useful. It doesn't matter whether they 'exist' in the sense an apple 'exists'. That's also Hawking's viewpoint.
i have studied organic chemistry at the graduate level. Know a bit about DNA. If these reactions are well understood, surely you could provide some link which illustrates how they are done.

As for Imaginary numbers, it matters very much that they exist when you make a physical claim about them.
Reply With Quote
  #108  
Old Mar 1st 2014, 10:54 AM
shekib82 shekib82 is offline
Globetrotter
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 3,134
Default Re: Homosexuality and Evolution

Quote:
Originally Posted by Non Sequitur View Post
I don't like the "evolution vs creationism" debate because it is distraction from the real point of Genesis, but John Paul II said this



source

The Catholic position is officially a lot more than mere toleration. As long as a person believes that God was/is control of the process than there isn't really a problem with evolution.
Cool... Jesus mentions Adam and Eve. As long as they existed the church would not have a problem.

I however do have a problem with the idea that we come from apes. I need more proof to accept this theory. If you are able to prove it, be my guest. Say I am some hick who doesn't know anything. What is the proof of evolution?
Reply With Quote
  #109  
Old Mar 1st 2014, 10:54 AM
shekib82 shekib82 is offline
Globetrotter
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 3,134
Default Re: Homosexuality and Evolution

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickKIELCEPoland View Post
Richard Dawkins is an evolutionary biologist. I recommend watching some youtube clips where he speaks.
yes and he is an atheist who makes the claim that because evolution is real God is an invention.
Reply With Quote
  #110  
Old Mar 1st 2014, 10:59 AM
NickKIELCEPoland's Avatar
NickKIELCEPoland NickKIELCEPoland is offline
Globetrotter
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 8,082
Default Re: Homosexuality and Evolution

Quote:
Originally Posted by shekib82 View Post
yes and he is an atheist who makes the claim that because evolution is real God is an invention.
Yes, indeed he is and indeed he does.
__________________
Europe
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:01 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©2008 - 2017, DiscussionWorldForum.com