Discussion World Forum  

Go Back   Discussion World Forum > Other Forums > Travel

Travel Where have you been? Where are you planning to go? Where would you like to go?

Old Jul 2nd 2009, 09:03 PM
Villager

Default Civil War sites from Florida to Illinois

I'm taking a road trip next month. I'm driving from southern Florida up to Chicago and want to see as many Civil War memorials as possible. I'm going with the brother, who has some weird deep-south-aphobia, so Altlanta is out. I'm thinking about Chattenooga and Shiloh so far. I'd love to hit the Carolinas and Virginia where all the juicy stuff is, but it's pretty far out of my way. Any Tennesseeians, Kentuckians, Illinoisians, or any other made-up-word-ians know of any great places to stop?
Old Jul 2nd 2009, 09:34 PM
Administrator
Herder of Cats

Default Re: Civil War sites from Florida to Illinois

Chattenooga is a must see I should think, if only because I believe there were three battles fought there.

I'm not much of a Civil War expert though, only a casual amateur on the topic.

Btw, I wonder what the 'correct' collective term for the citizens of Illinois and/or Tennessee actually is?
Old Jul 3rd 2009, 09:29 AM
Bad Motherfucker

Quote:
Originally Posted by bug View Post
I'm taking a road trip next month. I'm driving from southern Florida up to Chicago and want to see as many Civil War memorials as possible. I'm going with the brother, who has some weird deep-south-aphobia, so Altlanta is out. I'm thinking about Chattenooga and Shiloh so far. I'd love to hit the Carolinas and Virginia where all the juicy stuff is, but it's pretty far out of my way. Any Tennesseeians, Kentuckians, Illinoisians, or any other made-up-word-ians know of any great places to stop?
Here in Richmond, KY, there is the Battle of Richmond battlefield. Sweet golfing and an annual reenactment. The reenactment falls on the 29th-30th of August.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael View Post

Btw, I wonder what the 'correct' collective term for the citizens of Illinois and/or Tennessee actually is?
Illini and Volunteers.
Old Jul 3rd 2009, 10:48 AM
This wine needs more whisky

Quote:
Originally Posted by bug View Post
There is Mill Springs in KY. Even though I grew up in the same county, I never really visited. There is a cemetery and a driving tour (I believe 13 stop-points). They also do re-enactments but I'm not sure when.
http://www.millsprings.net/index.htm

It's a shame that Virginia will be out of your way. Jamestown and Monticello were fantastic last time I visited.
Old Jul 6th 2009, 06:57 PM
Villager

Thanks for all the advice! Yeah...I'd love to go to Virginia
Old Sep 26th 2009, 04:34 PM
Banned

[quote=bug;12021]I'm taking a road trip next month. I'm driving from southern Florida up to Chicago and want to see as many Civil War memorials as possible. I'm going with the brother, who has some weird deep-south-aphobia, so Altlanta is out. I'm thinking about Chattenooga and Shiloh so far. I'd love to hit the Carolinas and Virginia where all the juicy stuff is, but it's pretty far out of my way. Any Tennesseeians, Kentuckians, Illinoisians, or any other made-up-word-ians know of any great places to stop?[/quote
===========================================
You should see Fort Sumter in Charleston Harbor; Manassas (Bull Run) Virginia; Chancellorsville, Virginia, where Stonewall Jackson was fatally wounded by his own men; Gettysburg, Pennsylvania; Chickamauga, Tennessee; and Appomattox Courthouse, Virginia. These are some of the primary sites to see, but there are so many others, one could make a hobby of visiting all of them.

Last edited by Lasher; Sep 26th 2009 at 04:43 PM.