Discussion World Forum  

Go Back   Discussion World Forum > Other Forums > Travel

Travel Where have you been? Where are you planning to go? Where would you like to go?

Old Nov 14th 2013, 06:39 PM
Official Forum Mascot

Default TSA Bullshit

So I'm in the Worst City in America (Baltimore), because one way flights were available and way cheaper than Reagan, blah blah blah, anyway I'm here.

So I'm bopping up to the security line, and some TSA dude waves me through to TSA pre-check, along with my coworker. As far as I can tell, completely and wholly at random. Here is what "pre-check" is: http://www.tsa.gov/tsa-precheck

What it meant in practice was that, without any of the background screening, I arbitrarily was allowed to go through the "special people" terminal. No waiting in line for an hour, I didn't take my shoes off, I didn't take my laptop out of my bag, nobody appeared to give any significant fuck.

So here's my question: WHY THE SHIT can't everyone do that? More and more these days I agree with drgoodtrips on airport security being more or less a farce.
Old Nov 14th 2013, 08:00 PM
Citizen

Default Re: TSA Bullshit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donkey View Post
So I'm in the Worst City in America (Baltimore), because one way flights were available and way cheaper than Reagan, blah blah blah, anyway I'm here.

So I'm bopping up to the security line, and some TSA dude waves me through to TSA pre-check, along with my coworker. As far as I can tell, completely and wholly at random. Here is what "pre-check" is: http://www.tsa.gov/tsa-precheck

What it meant in practice was that, without any of the background screening, I arbitrarily was allowed to go through the "special people" terminal. No waiting in line for an hour, I didn't take my shoes off, I didn't take my laptop out of my bag, nobody appeared to give any significant fuck.

So here's my question: WHY THE SHIT can't everyone do that? More and more these days I agree with drgoodtrips on airport security being more or less a farce.
In the years since 9/11 I have flown on four domestic flights with my 3" pocket knife on my keyring. IN MY POCKET.

In a way I wish the TSA's structure were completely reversed: metric shit-tons of Air Marshals, almost no screening in the airport.
Old Nov 14th 2013, 08:49 PM
Globetrotter

Here in Russia, the SAB (Aviation Security Service, our TSA)

is somewhat lenient when it comes to rubber bullet guns, for example.

You just have to come to them in advance, at the airport, have a special case for your weapon, which they then seal with their stamp

Hunting weapons are also okay, if unloaded, disassembled, trigger-locked, and stored in a locked case

It is bladed weapons, knives and such, that cause most trouble. For example, sabers. I recall there was big furor last year, when SAB got into a confrontation in Krasnodar Airport with a large Cossack family traveling to Rostov to attend a wedding. To Cossacks, the shashka

is an integral part of their warrior culture, which every man must carry, if he is a man. But SAB said they cannot carry their shashkas onto the plane. A fight almost broke out, where the SAB agents, unarmed, would have been at a clear disadvantage against saber-wielding Cossacks I think they had to call in OMON. Since then, I heard, the government has allowed an exception, specifically for Cossacks, that they can travel with their shashkas. Chukchi should now bring whaling harpoons onto planes

hey, it is their culture
Old Nov 15th 2013, 02:03 PM
Official Forum Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donkey View Post

I used to fly a whole lot more often, so I thought about it a lot more. And, more recently, when I've flown it's often been international, where airport security is a lot less stupid. It sounds like they've graduated from privacy invading security by honor system (the nude scanners that can render your junk but not knives in your cargo pants pockets) to something even stranger (random opt-outs of the theater).

With 9/11 long in the rearview and people's tolerance for pointless bullshit accordingly on the wane, I'd imagine that TSA is in an odd position right now. I guess this is its 'creative' way of ratcheting down the bullshit. I'd love it if they just did away with the shoes thing. That's the single biggest contributor to annoyance and lines.

Last edited by drgoodtrips; Nov 15th 2013 at 02:07 PM.
Old Nov 15th 2013, 02:06 PM
Official Forum Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coddfish View Post
In the years since 9/11 I have flown on four domestic flights with my 3" pocket knife on my keyring. IN MY POCKET.
When I used to smoke, I'd similarly carry lighters on board in my pocket. If I ever put them in the pocket-stuff trays, they'd get confiscated, so I stopped putting them in the trays. Problem solved. Same thing with my belt. Instead of taking it off, I'd just un-tuck my shirt and walk through unbothered.

Interestingly, the nude scanner things put a stop to that -- they can't see if you have knives in your cargo pants pocket, but they're remarkably effective at figuring out if you're wearing a belt (which of course you have to then take off for some reason).

Quote:
In a way I wish the TSA's structure were completely reversed: metric shit-tons of Air Marshals, almost no screening in the airport.
I'd take that, myself. Seems like a better solution. But I think the best security that we have is the fact that very few people actually want to hijack planes.
Old Nov 15th 2013, 02:14 PM
Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by drgoodtrips View Post
I'd take that, myself. Seems like a better solution. But I think the best security that we have is the fact that very few people actually want to hijack planes.
Quite true. It's a hell of a lot easier to go shoot up a school than it is to fly a plane into one.