Discussion World Forum  

Go Back   Discussion World Forum > Other Forums > Travel

Travel Where have you been? Where are you planning to go? Where would you like to go?

Old Jan 6th 2014, 10:04 AM
Cranky Curmudgeon

Default Re: Where do you recommend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael View Post
OMG! I just realized what I was seeing in this picture!

Like, where are the railings beside the canal?

And where are the signs warning people that there is a risk of drowning if you fall into the canal?

And where is the warning sign that there is no lifeguard present? Or that swimming is allowed, or not allowed?

Stupid people could fall in! Small children of absent-minded parents could drown!

That lack of railings and warning signs would be completely illegal in Canada or USA.
Also missing are piles of fast-food wrappers, cups , straws, and napkins piled up in various corners. You might not find them in Canada, either, but they sure seem to be part of the scenery here in the US.
Old Jan 6th 2014, 05:56 PM
Globetrotter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Palven View Post
Also missing are piles of fast-food wrappers, cups , straws, and napkins piled up in various corners. You might not find them in Canada, either, but they sure seem to be part of the scenery here in the US.
There's a reason for that.
Some time ago a new form of repression was introduced in Flanders. They're called GAS-fines. GAS stands for the Dutch of County Administrative Sanctions. They're fines you can get for things like littering. The ugly part of it, other than that the fines are quite hefty, i.e. from 60 to 250 (US$ 82 to US$ 340), is that they are issued not by cops or some private security but simply by civil functionaries without any training or experience in such tasks. They also don't have any burden of proof, their word suffices. Needless to say there's massive abuse aggravated by the fact that there's no appeal to these fines other than refusing to pay them and being hauled to court. Since the legality and constitutionality of these fines is heavily contested some courts throw them out on principle but other courts acknowledge and even increase them. It's a complete legal shambles but, yeah, the streets are cleaner.
Old Jan 6th 2014, 06:28 PM
Administrator
Herder of Cats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominick View Post
There's a reason for that.
Some time ago a new form of repression was introduced in Flanders. They're called GAS-fines. GAS stands for the Dutch of County Administrative Sanctions. They're fines you can get for things like littering. The ugly part of it, other than that the fines are quite hefty, i.e. from €60 to €250 (US$ 82 to US$ 340), is that they are issued not by cops or some private security but simply by civil functionaries without any training or experience in such tasks. They also don't have any burden of proof, their word suffices. Needless to say there's massive abuse aggravated by the fact that there's no appeal to these fines other than refusing to pay them and being hauled to court. Since the legality and constitutionality of these fines is heavily contested some courts throw them out on principle but other courts acknowledge and even increase them. It's a complete legal shambles but, yeah, the streets are cleaner.
North America is literally covered with signs announcing the steep fines for littering. I've seen fines of up to $1000 per offense.

Btw, for what its worth, the only country I've ever seen with as much litter as the USA is Ireland.