Discussion World Forum  

Go Back   Discussion World Forum > Discussion Forums > Computers & Technology

Computers & Technology Computer issues, hardware, software, internet and new technologies.

Old Feb 24th 2010, 01:05 PM
Globetrotter

Default Re: Facebook Evolution

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael View Post
Bemused giggles. You state the point but miss it at the same time.

MySpace used to be as big as Facebook. That was the last fad. Facebook is the present fad. Five years from now, Facebook will be as passe as MySpace (and Napster and AOL) are now.

I do remember being told that AOL was going to rule the net. Then I was told that MySpace redefined the net. Now I'm being told that Facebook is the ultimate. I just ignore these fads as they don't seem to last very long.

Btw, Facebook has a minimum age of 13 years old. Unofficially however, Facebook's fastest growth these days is coming from the elementary school set.

Need I say more?

Btw, my little niece's elementary school just discovered that over 60% of their students, all under 12, were on Facebook, prompting a form letter message to parents. Several of these kids had over 500 "friends" on Facebook.
The amount of disposable time taken by some children and adults just blows me away. It's no wonder we have increased productivity with fewer workers and our education quality has declined.
Old Feb 24th 2010, 01:14 PM
Globetrotter

Quote:
Those games are popular. How long before specialized niches pop up to fill that popularity? Facebook is just an irrelevant platform in this case.

Anyways, I'm not going to sit here and argue about how long it is going to take Facebook to become last year's fad. I really don't care. It is enough to just sit back and wait to prove my point. The net is driven by fads on steroids.

I certainly remember reading about how Yahoo was taking over the net. That was before Google came along of course.
Let's not forget that Netscape Navigator was the browser from the 1990s to 2002 when IE became bundled with Windows.
Old Feb 24th 2010, 01:19 PM
Administrator
Herder of Cats

I also remember being told that CD's were the cutting edge of a whole new revolution in multimedia.

And speaking of passing fads, how about the MS Messenger thing? That used to be the be-all-to-end-all of internet apps.

About the only thing you can be certain of with the net is that all the biggest trends now will be just forgotten fads five years from now. I see no reason to believe that Facebook is any different. Indeed, Facebook is just a 'free' version of Classmates.com which has been around for twenty years or so.
Old Feb 24th 2010, 01:25 PM
Globetrotter

Quote:
I also remember being told that CD's were the cutting edge of a whole new revolution in multimedia.

And speaking of passing fads, how about the MS Messenger thing? That used to be the be-all-to-end-all of internet apps.

About the only thing you can be certain of with the net is that all the biggest trends now will be just forgotten fads five years from now. I see no reason to believe that Facebook is any different. Indeed, Facebook is just a 'free' version of Classmates.com which has been around for twenty years or so.
My wife looked at classmates.com for her high school about a year ago. Of the subscribed names she could remember, they were all losers.
Old Feb 24th 2010, 02:02 PM
World Citizen

Quote:
My point is that silly games are popular. Why does one need Facebook to play silly games?

Facebook is the odd wheel there between game players and games.
People aren't rational. =P

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Modern_...ry#Assumptions

Quite literally, these games are built on taking pride in virtual production, but if that's what people want, then they're going to be gluttonous, self-absorbed pigs.

Whoohoo for utilitarianism.
Old Feb 24th 2010, 02:20 PM
Administrator
Herder of Cats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daktoria View Post
Yes, that's true. Good to see that you are coming around to understanding this important point.

Quote:

Quite literally, these games are built on taking pride in virtual production, but if that's what people want, then they're going to be gluttonous, self-absorbed pigs.
I think you have it backwards. Those games are popular because people are gluttonous self-absorbed pigs.

Games don't change people. Games are designed to pander to people.

Quote:
I may think this shit is silly, but I'm not going to propose laws or rules to prevent internet companies from offering silly games.

Utilitarianism may be ugly, but it at least it doesn't prescribe or limit liberty. Ergo, I can live with it.

And I fail to see the relevance of MPT to this issue. We are talking about people playing games here.
Old Feb 24th 2010, 02:30 PM
Globetrotter

Quote:

Keep food in their bowls, provide them with simple entertainment and they'll follow you anywhere. A deep market often referred to as the general public.

Quote:
Old Feb 24th 2010, 04:07 PM
World Citizen

Quote:
Yes, that's true. Good to see that you are coming around to understanding this important point.
Sarcasm greeted by more sarcasm....

Quote:
...gyah...

Quote:
I think you have it backwards. Those games are popular because people are gluttonous self-absorbed pigs.

Games don't change people. Games are designed to pander to people.
Well yea, hence why I said "if that's what people want".

Quote:
I may think this shit is silly, but I'm not going to propose laws or rules to prevent internet companies from offering silly games.

Utilitarianism may be ugly, but it at least it doesn't prescribe or limit liberty. Ergo, I can live with it.

And I fail to see the relevance of MPT to this issue. We are talking about people playing games here.
MPT talks about a correlation between utility and wealth, yet the "wealth" harvested in these games generates no real utility at all other than the satisfaction of doing what's cool from playing along with other players and admiring sparkly graphics for symbolism alone.

The taste has no possibility for intrinsic value, so there isn't even a spectrum for interpretation.

Last edited by Daktoria; Feb 24th 2010 at 04:12 PM.
Old Feb 24th 2010, 04:11 PM
World Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Americano View Post
Keep food in their bowls, provide them with simple entertainment and they'll follow you anywhere. A deep market often referred to as the general public.
Exxxxxxxxactly.

Adding insult to injury is how we (as Americans) embrace being labeled as a bunch of fat and spoiled retards. It opens the flood gates to multicultural and culturally relativist condescension.

See this in schools nationwide all the time, but nobody's ever done, or going to do, anything about it because it's politically incorrect from both the left and right.
Old Feb 24th 2010, 04:37 PM
Bad Motherfucker

Naysay!

(This way I agree with everyone.)