Discussion World Forum  

Go Back   Discussion World Forum > Discussion Forums > History

History Ancient, Classical, Medieval, Modern, Renaissance, World Exploration, Enlightenment, Colonial Empires, Revolutions and 20th century Wars.

Old Jul 20th 2016, 02:38 PM
Official Forum Mascot

Default Cold War Memories

I was born in the twilight of the Cold War and Ronald Reagan's mental faculties, so I obviously don't remember any of the cold war, but I'm often intrigued by what it must have been like to live in the thick of it.

I read a lot of Bloom County when I was younger, which poked vicious fun during the early eighties about the levels of paranoia going on in the Reagan years.

Today I ran across this little tidbit which would seem outrageous and crazy today:

http://ech.case.edu/cgi/article.pl?id=NMB

For all the Clash of Civilizations and War on Terror and OMG radical ISLAM, it seems like that's nothing compared to the normalization of a bi-polar world for most of the country.

Anyway, thought that the casual deployment of missiles around town in locations that I know well was kind of interesting.
Old Jul 20th 2016, 06:48 PM
Administrator
Herder of Cats

Default Re: Cold War Memories

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donkey View Post
I was born in the twilight of the Cold War and Ronald Reagan's mental faculties, so I obviously don't remember any of the cold war, but I'm often intrigued by what it must have been like to live in the thick of it.

I read a lot of Bloom County when I was younger, which poked vicious fun during the early eighties about the levels of paranoia going on in the Reagan years.

Today I ran across this little tidbit which would seem outrageous and crazy today:

http://ech.case.edu/cgi/article.pl?id=NMB

For all the Clash of Civilizations and War on Terror and OMG radical ISLAM, it seems like that's nothing compared to the normalization of a bi-polar world for most of the country.

Anyway, thought that the casual deployment of missiles around town in locations that I know well was kind of interesting.
Yes, I well remember growing up and talking about nuclear armageddon as being just a matter of time. No issue was larger than that and it just went on for years and years. One couldn't go a few months without seeing some massive anti-nuclear demonstrations in the streets. Nuclear arms talks filled the nightly news.

That being said, I've subsequently learned that the whole anti-nuke movement that I was so aware of (and was so massive and pervasive) was financed and fostered by the Russian KGB in pretty much every western country, but primarily in western Europe. That helped to put the issue into perspective, at least in retrospect. It certainly was interesting the way that no one seemed interested nuclear weapons after 1989, even though there were just as many (if not more) nuke missiles out there in 1990 as there was in 1980. That was my first clue that the anti-nuke movement wasn't entirely what it seemed. The Soviets pulled the plug on funding western anti-nuke groups in 1989 and they all just seemed to evaporate after that.