Discussion World Forum  

Go Back   Discussion World Forum > Politics & Current Events > War and Conflict

War and Conflict UN, NATO, Iraq, Afghanistan, War on Terror, Israel & Palestine, and all international political conflicts.

Old Sep 7th 2009, 10:03 AM
Globetrotter

Default Re: The Aghanistan War

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael View Post
Nothing unusual or unexpected here.

What is unusual and/or unexpected is our moronic and ill-educated media acting all surprised about it.

I've said it before and I'll say it again - Afghanistan is at least a generation or two away from any kind of democracy. Until that time, all democratic forms will be just for appearances. Much like Russia I might add.
When the US is involved in creating democracy in another country it becomes appearances (a facade) and an easy way to openly consolidate power.
Old Sep 7th 2009, 12:31 PM
World Citizen

Firstly, after the withdrawal of Soviet troops there was a civil war going on, and the West ought to have intervened on the behalf of the Northern Alliance and righted the country well before 9/11.
Secondly, why did 'we' bother establishing democracy, when a vast majority of the country is impoverished, illiterate, and unemployed.
Surely a provisional govt with a written constitution that gets to work fixing these issues, with a deadline of 5-10 years set for elections to take place, would have been better? I do see how that might have just created another American-backed dictatorship in a basket case. The democracy business I suppose is a charade to give legitimacy to the current govt and get Afghans to accept its authority.

Perhaps it would have been better to let it become a loose federation of states like the 18th century US, with all the various tribals looking after their own provinces and thereby having a legitimate interest in preserving the state.

But, those are all what-ifs, and given the current situation; I don't think there can be any sort of victory; all we should do is establish a fit and sufficiently honest Army and police force, make the existing govt less corrupt and get around to solving problems, and just get out of there, after reducing the Taliban's influence by working with the people.
Controlling and reducing the poppy trade, building roads, and giving the Afghans jobs is the key in reducing Taliban's appeal to the youth.
Old Sep 8th 2009, 06:46 AM
World Citizen

Quote:
Nothing unusual or unexpected here.

What is unusual and/or unexpected is our moronic and ill-educated media acting all surprised about it.

I've said it before and I'll say it again - Afghanistan is at least a generation or two away from any kind of democracy. Until that time, all democratic forms will be just for appearances. Much like Russia I might add.
As is Iraq. Of course, we'll camp out there until and after that happens.
Old Sep 8th 2009, 09:24 AM
Administrator
Herder of Cats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lily View Post
As is Iraq. Of course, we'll camp out there until and after that happens.
Actually, Iraq is not quite as bad as Afghanistan. Iraq was (until the US invaded) one of the most economically and technologically advanced societies in the Middle East (right up there with the Palestinians).

I'd say it is only the Palestinians, Iraqis and Iranians that have any hope of making democracy work within the next generation. Every other country in the Middle East is like Afghanistan, at least two generations away (or more).
Old Sep 14th 2009, 02:26 PM
Resident Anthropologist

Quote:
In a significant policy shift, the Canadian government now believes that telling the country's taxpayers the future cost of the war in Afghanistan would be a threat to national security, Canwest News Service has learned.

The Defence Department cited a national security exemption when it censored a request under the Access to Information Act by the federal NDP for the military costs of Canada's military participation in the NATO-led, United Nations-sanctioned military mission to Afghanistan.

When the NDP asked for the identical figures last year, the military made them public. was able to disclose in April 2008 that the yearly incremental cost of the Afghan war would top $1-billion for the first time since Canada's military became involved in Afghanistan in 2002.

But this year, military censors cited Section 15 of the act in blocking out the figure.
Source

If this doesn't frame the Tories as a Republican-style party, I don't know what else would do it. What a bunch of idiots. Yay! Our very own Vietnam! I feel like one of the big kids now! Next stop, the Arctic.
Old Sep 14th 2009, 07:46 PM
Administrator
Herder of Cats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greendruid View Post
Source

If this doesn't frame the Tories as a Republican-style party, I don't know what else would do it. What a bunch of idiots. Yay! Our very own Vietnam! I feel like one of the big kids now! Next stop, the Arctic.
When it comes to mimicking the Bush-Republican party, the Harper-Tories jumped that shark quite a while ago. The hand-picked, vetted crowds for all Harper appearances was the first clue. The appeal of the Canadian Supreme Court decision on Khadr, the big tax cuts and the massive deficit in just two years after inheriting a fiscal surplus of 1.5% of GDP, anti-abortion white papers, the attempt to deregulate Canadian banking laws to allow American style 'sub-prime' mortage games to be played in Canada in 2006, and of course, who hasn't noticed the 7/24 non-stop partisan-attack mode of government coming from the PMO? All of this is trademark G.W. Bush style government.

Here's hoping for a fall election. I think Harper is an idiot, but Ignatieff is only slightly less of one. Neither one of these foreign-minded fellows should even be allowed in Parliament, let alone the PMO.
Old Sep 15th 2009, 11:17 AM
Globetrotter

Quote:
Source

Withholding public spending amounts - welcome to our (US) world.
Old Nov 23rd 2009, 02:52 PM
Resident Anthropologist

Based on the information given in today's post by Michael, something that has been brewing in the pot for several months if not years now, I vehemently re-state my opinion in the OP. This war must end, now:

http://www.discussionworldforum.com/...read.php?t=928

There are millions of veterans rolling in their graves to see the result of their sacrifice used in this manner. For what? Disgusting. Harper should be sent to the Hague and let the world decide what is appropriate as punishment. This is the only remedy to ensure re-gaining our role as a diplomatic, peaceful nation.
Old Nov 23rd 2009, 09:33 PM
Administrator
Herder of Cats

Quote:
Based on the information given in today's post by Michael, something that has been brewing in the pot for several months if not years now, I vehemently re-state my opinion in the OP. This war must end, now:

http://www.discussionworldforum.com/...read.php?t=928

There are millions of veterans rolling in their graves to see the result of their sacrifice used in this manner. For what? Disgusting. Harper should be sent to the Hague and let the world decide what is appropriate as punishment. This is the only remedy to ensure re-gaining our role as a diplomatic, peaceful nation.
Indeed.

Canada didn't send over several thousand soldiers (and sacrifice over 100 dead ones) to enable torture of Afghani people.
Old Nov 23rd 2009, 10:44 PM
Globetrotter

Quote:
Indeed.

Canada didn't send over several thousand soldiers (and sacrifice over 100 dead ones) to enable torture of Afghani people.
Be proud of your citizenship. We Americans have no moral or legal control of our leadership. They make the determinations and all we can do is keep track of them for purposes of self-preservation.