Discussion World Forum  


Go Back   Discussion World Forum > Other Forums > Travel

Travel Where have you been? Where are you planning to go? Where would you like to go?

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old Jul 27th 2011, 01:06 PM
MeMyselfAndI MeMyselfAndI is offline
Globetrotter
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Moscow, Russia
Posts: 6,453
Default Patriotic vacation :)

In about one week, we'll all be going off to our regular summer vacation. Me, Karina, the children, and some friends and relatives of ours. This year, instead of Turkey, or Spain, or Thailand, or some other foreign, far-away place, we have decided to rest within our own country, and see what all the new resorts in and around Sochi offer.

There are already several new hotels there, and more bing built


But like most Russians who go there, since the Soviet era, we will not go to the expensive hotels, we will instead rent rooms in a house in Anapa (beach town near Sochi)

Anapa, unlike Sochi, has actual sand beaches, not pebble ones, on which it is painful to walk. However, the beaches there now are becoming nearly as full as in the Soviet times

One has to come in very early to secure a 'spot under the sun', so to speak
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old Jul 27th 2011, 01:12 PM
MeMyselfAndI MeMyselfAndI is offline
Globetrotter
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Moscow, Russia
Posts: 6,453
Default Re: Patriotic vacation :)

Sochi itself is worse though



The eternal problem with Russian beaches: there aren't enough of them for all of us

There's lots of entertainment there though. You can even have yourself photographed on a throne with strange black people

lol

And you can ride on that rubber 'sausage' pulled by a speedboat


And nearby town Gelendzhyk ha sa oceanarium


a dolphinarium


and a 'safari-park'


Sun protection screen is sold right next to the beach


Yes, we will vaction at our Motherland's beaches this year, like good Russian patriots. Probably will not be as nice as beyond the border, but, we'll be model citizens, at least
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old Jul 27th 2011, 01:23 PM
NickKIELCEPoland's Avatar
NickKIELCEPoland NickKIELCEPoland is offline
Globetrotter
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 8,080
Default Re: Patriotic vacation :)

It's not actually unheard of for people to go on holiday in their own country. It does happen, from time to time, and people manage to do it without making a big song and dance about being patriotic. That said, have a lovely holiday
__________________
Europe
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old Jul 27th 2011, 01:49 PM
MeMyselfAndI MeMyselfAndI is offline
Globetrotter
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Moscow, Russia
Posts: 6,453
Default Re: Patriotic vacation :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickKIELCEPoland View Post
It's not actually unheard of for people to go on holiday in their own country. It does happen, from time to time, and people manage to do it without making a big song and dance about being patriotic. That said, have a lovely holiday
Not here. After USSR fell, through the 90s, most people who could afford to go on avaction went abroad. Into the 2000s, as more people had more money to spend, foreign travel only increased. 50% of our population has been abroad now (compared to about 9% in the Soviet era), and that's great. But the government has long wanted to convince people to vacation inside Russia more. There are nice places to go here. Above mentioned Sochi. In Siberia, you have lake Baikal, and the Altai mountains. Etc. There's just not enough good (and affordable) hotels, and also people say service abroad is better (hotel staff treat guests with more respect, more polute, etc.)

But, thank you, we do intend to have a good month of rest.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old Jul 27th 2011, 06:37 PM
Michael's Avatar
Michael Michael is offline
Administrator
Herder of Cats
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Toronto
Posts: 14,820
Default Re: Patriotic vacation :)

Looks like a festive vacation spot. And yes, I can well understand that Russia doesn't have enough beaches. Canada doesn't either!

(btw, check out the 4th photo - those are some serious 'man-boobs' on that guy!)

And I often vacation inside Canada (except for winter trips to the Caribbean).
__________________
Remember what the dormouse said: Feed your head!
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old Jul 28th 2011, 09:47 PM
Americano's Avatar
Americano Americano is offline
Globetrotter
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 8,614
Default Re: Patriotic vacation :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeMyselfAndI View Post
Sochi itself is worse though



The eternal problem with Russian beaches: there aren't enough of them for all of us

There's lots of entertainment there though. You can even have yourself photographed on a throne with strange black people

lol

And you can ride on that rubber 'sausage' pulled by a speedboat


And nearby town Gelendzhyk ha sa oceanarium


a dolphinarium


and a 'safari-park'


Sun protection screen is sold right next to the beach


Yes, we will vaction at our Motherland's beaches this year, like good Russian patriots. Probably will not be as nice as beyond the border, but, we'll be model citizens, at least
Will you be out-of-pocket while on holiday or may I look forward to your usual informative posts?
__________________
"No one ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people."
~H.L. Mencken~
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old Jul 28th 2011, 10:35 PM
MeMyselfAndI MeMyselfAndI is offline
Globetrotter
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Moscow, Russia
Posts: 6,453
Default Re: Patriotic vacation :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael View Post
Looks like a festive vacation spot. And yes, I can well understand that Russia doesn't have enough beaches. Canada doesn't either!

(btw, check out the 4th photo - those are some serious 'man-boobs' on that guy!)

And I often vacation inside Canada (except for winter trips to the Caribbean).
Caribbean is the heaven most here dream of...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Americano View Post
Will you be out-of-pocket while on holiday or may I look forward to your usual informative posts?
No, there will be no internet there. Don't worry, it's only for a month lol
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old Jul 28th 2011, 11:31 PM
NickKIELCEPoland's Avatar
NickKIELCEPoland NickKIELCEPoland is offline
Globetrotter
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 8,080
Default Re: Patriotic vacation :)

You'll be missed. When are you leaving?
__________________
Europe
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old Jul 29th 2011, 02:06 PM
MeMyselfAndI MeMyselfAndI is offline
Globetrotter
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Moscow, Russia
Posts: 6,453
Default Re: Patriotic vacation :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickKIELCEPoland View Post
You'll be missed. When are you leaving?
We are going on August 2nd. Will have to come back before September 1st, our older child is to begin school then.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old Jul 29th 2011, 02:09 PM
NickKIELCEPoland's Avatar
NickKIELCEPoland NickKIELCEPoland is offline
Globetrotter
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 8,080
Default Re: Patriotic vacation :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeMyselfAndI View Post
We are going on August 2nd. Will have to come back before September 1st, our older child is to begin school then.
It will be a very empty August on here
__________________
Europe
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:00 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2008 - 2017, DiscussionWorldForum.com