Discussion World Forum  

Go Back   Discussion World Forum > Other Forums > Travel

Travel Where have you been? Where are you planning to go? Where would you like to go?

Old Sep 26th 2013, 01:57 PM
World Citizen

Default Re: Where have you been?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominick View Post
I can't even conceive how you get a list like that of Pestilence. (are you CIA or KGB, Pestilence ? )
Naw, I was once a crazy young man who had to see everything. It began in the 60's ... love, peace, brotherly love, and most importantly "the thumb" and travelling on the cheap. I purchased a copy of Ed Byrn's "Vagabonding in Europe and North Africa" and read it so thoroughly that I knew it by heart. So I did all of that in time for Tony Wheeler's overland travel through Africa and overland through Asia publications, which at that time were only thin pamphlets really. One thing led to another ........

Old Sep 26th 2013, 02:05 PM
World Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donkey View Post
What is CH?
CH is Confoederatio Helvetica in the original language of Switzerland know as Raetoromanisch, a decendant language of Latin. There aren't many people who still speak this language though.
Old Sep 26th 2013, 02:23 PM
World Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominick View Post
Correct and L is Luxembourg.
I had no idea these codes aren't used in the US. I thought they were global.
They've been changed now. Sweden was once "S" but is now "SE". Germany was "D" but is now "DE". Finland was "SF" which was often assumed by Americans to mean Soviet Finland .... talk about pissing off the Finns!!! It actually meant Suomi Finland ("Finland" in both the Finish and Swedish languages) .... it's a long story ... our history and theirs. Anyway, it is now "FIN".

There was a time when it was mandatory for any car abroad to have the code of its origins displayed on the back but I don't think anyone bothers any longer.
Old Mar 2nd 2015, 08:54 PM
Cranky Curmudgeon

In my youth I was a "See America Firster," but somehow, in old age I'm surprised to find that I've become a pretty-experienced world traveler.

But, Marge and I got back from a Gate 1 tour of Croatia and Slovenia with brief stops in Montenegro and Bosnia, and found that we were probably the least traveled people in the group. It was a great group without a whiner among them.

I broached the subject of "What was you favorite country" several times to groups of people at dinner, and was surprised to find that the majority answer was Turkey.

I looked just now at the Gate 1 video for Turkey and their prices and was surprised to see that Turkey seems to be a real travel bargain.

http://www.gate1travel.com/turkey-travel/
Old Mar 3rd 2015, 11:36 AM
Official Forum Mascot

My wife is going to Helsinki in April. I am pretty jealous. I too wish to visit the land of the Moomins.

If all goes according to plan we should be heading to Hungary for a couple of weeks in October though.
Old Mar 3rd 2015, 06:49 PM
Administrator
Herder of Cats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Palven View Post
In my youth I was a "See America Firster," but somehow, in old age I'm surprised to find that I've become a pretty-experienced world traveler.

But, Marge and I got back from a Gate 1 tour of Croatia and Slovenia with brief stops in Montenegro and Bosnia, and found that we were probably the least traveled people in the group. It was a great group without a whiner among them.

I broached the subject of "What was you favorite country" several times to groups of people at dinner, and was surprised to find that the majority answer was Turkey.

I looked just now at the Gate 1 video for Turkey and their prices and was surprised to see that Turkey seems to be a real travel bargain.

http://www.gate1travel.com/turkey-travel/
I've never been to Turkey myself but I must say that I've heard quite a few people say that it is the coolest and most fun and interesting place they've ever visited.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donkey View Post
My wife is going to Helsinki in April. I am pretty jealous. I too wish to visit the land of the Moomins.

If all goes according to plan we should be heading to Hungary for a couple of weeks in October though.
Well, Hungary should be pretty cool for some old towns, grand churches and quaint cobblestone streets at the very least. I'd personally rather visit Finland - it seems like it would be more exciting, exotic and different up there. Not to mention the fact that I love both blondes and vodka.
Old Mar 4th 2015, 12:34 PM
Nomad

Hey man where did you live in Texas? I have not been nearly as many places as some of you but here it goes:

USA - Lived here my whole life
Texas - Lived Here
Hawaii
Montana - Lived Here
California
New Mexico
Nevada
Wyoming
Colorado
Idaho
Utah
Lousiana
Oklahoma
Minnesota
North Dakota
Alabama
Arizona
Alaska
North Carolina
South Dakota
South Carolina
Illinois
Missouri
Arkansas
Georgia
Mississippi
Wisconsin
Nebraska
Kansas
Canada
Mexico
Cayman Islands
Jamaica
Honduras
Belize
The Bahamas
Old Jun 1st 2015, 08:56 AM
Cranky Curmudgeon

Just got back from vacation, visiting my niece again near Pau in SW France. While there we went over to Spain to have tapas for lunch one day. Then Marge and I drove east along the Pyrenees, which separate France from Spain, to the Provence area of southeastern France where Marge took a short class in perfumery in Grasse, near Nice.

Then we continued east through the ritzy French Riviera and Monaco for a short visit to Italy, just to see how the border crossing operates there (There's just a sign, "Welcome to Italy"), and we stopped at a MacDonald's for a bite (and a beer, which comes as a beverage choice with a "happy meal" or whatever) because there was no parking anywhere along the streets of the small towns of the Italian Riviera.

There were no sleepy back roads in Provence that I was once told were there. Now, even out on the narrow curvy roads in the countryside there is always someone who thinks he's running in a Grand Prix that comes up on your bumper, and you have to endure him there, sometimes honking, until there's a place for you to pull over and let him pass or a straightaway where he, or she, can pass.

Still, we had a very enjoyable time. Although I'd been to Switzerland years ago, and to Germany, Italy, Croatia, and other countries in the area more recently, I somehow didn't realize that the Swiss Alps, and the French, Italian and Croatian Alps are all the same mountain range.

The Alps come down from Germany, Austria, and Switzerland to form a border between France and Italy right down to the Mediterranean, and they also go east across northern Italy and around the Adriatic Sea and down through Slovenia, Croatia, Bosnia, and Montenegro.

We had a very enjoyable trip on both side of mountains in Slovenia and Croatia not long ago, and I hadn't realized that those mountains are part of the Alps.

Last edited by Tom Palven; Jun 1st 2015 at 09:05 AM.
Old Jun 1st 2015, 06:13 PM
Administrator
Herder of Cats

Wow! That sounds like a great trip you had (I'm jealous!).
Old Jun 2nd 2015, 10:36 AM
Globetrotter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Palven View Post
Just got back from vacation, visiting my niece again near Pau in SW France. While there we went over to Spain to have tapas for lunch one day. Then Marge and I drove east along the Pyrenees, which separate France from Spain, to the Provence area of southeastern France where Marge took a short class in perfumery in Grasse, near Nice.

Then we continued east through the ritzy French Riviera and Monaco for a short visit to Italy, just to see how the border crossing operates there (There's just a sign, "Welcome to Italy"), and we stopped at a MacDonald's for a bite (and a beer, which comes as a beverage choice with a "happy meal" or whatever) because there was no parking anywhere along the streets of the small towns of the Italian Riviera.

There were no sleepy back roads in Provence that I was once told were there. Now, even out on the narrow curvy roads in the countryside there is always someone who thinks he's running in a Grand Prix that comes up on your bumper, and you have to endure him there, sometimes honking, until there's a place for you to pull over and let him pass or a straightaway where he, or she, can pass.

Still, we had a very enjoyable time. Although I'd been to Switzerland years ago, and to Germany, Italy, Croatia, and other countries in the area more recently, I somehow didn't realize that the Swiss Alps, and the French, Italian and Croatian Alps are all the same mountain range.

The Alps come down from Germany, Austria, and Switzerland to form a border between France and Italy right down to the Mediterranean, and they also go east across northern Italy and around the Adriatic Sea and down through Slovenia, Croatia, Bosnia, and Montenegro.

We had a very enjoyable trip on both side of mountains in Slovenia and Croatia not long ago, and I hadn't realized that those mountains are part of the Alps.
Did you confirm three prejudices about Americans on purpose?

"Welcome to Italy", and we stopped at a MacDonald's
No, no, no, no. Just NO.

Remember this? The arc from Monaco through the Provence and the Alps to Turin is prime supercar turf. If you drive there at an American pace, grannies will overtake you.

And yes, there's only one set of Alps. They're kinda big and hard to miss, especially on a map

No jab at you, I just thought it was funny. It certainly looks like a nice trip. Well, except the food maybe.