Discussion World Forum  

Go Back   Discussion World Forum > Other Forums > Travel

Travel Where have you been? Where are you planning to go? Where would you like to go?

Old Apr 24th 2010, 12:44 AM
Resident Anthropologist

Default Re: Driving Atlantic to Pacific

Going SW from Wichita you will head straight through the Texas panhandle and I don't recommend that if you want to avoid Texas. You will be greeted with the ghastly site of cattle feedlots. Cows and dust as far as the eye can see and methane in the air to boot. Sometimes on both sides of the highway! They don't raise them like they do in S.O. - no natural grass for those poor buggers. Avoid it if at all possible.
Old Apr 24th 2010, 08:52 AM
Globetrotter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lily View Post
If you've never seen the Grand Canyon, you have to go. It's the one natural wonder that doesn't disappoint. Truly magnificent. Then head south and you'll drive through the Sedona area, then into Phoenix. There's plenty of desert all around you there, especially if you're heading into L.A. from Phoenix. You'll go right through a whole bunch of desert, including the Palm Springs area.
Seemingly endless desert.

Quote:
In fact, just head west from the Santa Fe/Taos/Albuquerque area in New Mexico and you'll end up at the Grand Canyon.
Old Apr 24th 2010, 09:08 AM
This wine needs more whisky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Americano View Post
Seemingly endless desert.
Pretty at first and then just plain boring.
Old Apr 24th 2010, 09:18 AM
Administrator
Herder of Cats

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Drunk Girl View Post
Pretty at first and then just plain boring.
That describes most of the things (and people) in this world.
Old Apr 24th 2010, 09:03 PM
Globetrotter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael View Post
That describes most of the things (and people) in this world.
By my measure, I'm in agreement, that definitely puts you up a notch in forum cynic ratings.
Old Apr 24th 2010, 10:51 PM
Citizen

This goes for any of the regulars at this particular forum, but if anyone is passing through northern Illinois and or Chicago I'd be glad to do a meet and greet and give the local perspective.

"The curious task of economics is to demonstrate to men how little they really know about what they imagine they can design. - F.A. Hayek
Old Apr 25th 2010, 09:07 AM
Administrator
Herder of Cats

Quote:
Originally Posted by wphelan View Post
This goes for any of the regulars at this particular forum, but if anyone is passing through northern Illinois and or Chicago I'd be glad to do a meet and greet and give the local perspective.
Well, this trip definitely will include staying overnight in Chicago so maybe we can meet up for a beer.
Old Apr 27th 2010, 03:58 PM
World Citizen

Yeah, don't listen to Margot! Your option of dipping across the southwest in the middle of summer might do for some re-thinking. When we went to the Pacific Northwest a few years ago, we looked into the Grand Canyon first. 133 degrees F. No shit. Also, to get there, you're going to have to cross Texas in summer. F'in...yuck! I mean, no offense to my Texan bro's and sisters but Tx in summer is only more heinous than Tx in winter.

So, you could cut a little north and drop down then you have Kansas. Oi! Eastern Colorado is just as bad except that it ends in the Rockies.

I say take the high road. lol.
But seriously, that central part of the US leaves a lot to be desired but the Big Horn mountains, and maybe a stop off at Mount Rushmore and Yellowstone all the way to the Pacific Northwest and then cruising down the coast of Ca sounds like an awesome trip for summertime. Avoid the heat and tornadoes. Northern Wyoming is actually quite spectacular in the early summer. Kinda sucks toward the middle when it gets all brown again.
Old Apr 27th 2010, 04:00 PM
World Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by wphelan View Post
I read just this morning that an Il. Rep. is trying to get the governor to call in the National Guard to fight crime in Chicago. 113 murders so far this year - more than Iraq and Afghanistan US fatalities alone.

Just pullin yer chain. But I did hear that and those were the horrible statistics.

Last edited by JHC; Apr 27th 2010 at 04:07 PM. Reason: a vs. an in front of a vowel. Did you really need to know?
Old Apr 27th 2010, 04:21 PM
World Citizen

Also, just FYI, if you want to hit as many cities as possible (just read that in your prior posts), you could head due south from Montana passing through Billings (big city where I come from ;-)), and then catch the Cheyenne Frontier Days in July. One of the biggest cities in Wyoming, especially during Frontier Days, and also, the state capital. Denver is just a spit away from Cheyenne and you can pass by my first Alma Matter - visit Korymir. Just keep driving South until you run into the Grand Canyon - but not literally - since that is apparently the only scenery on your agenda.

But seriously, I'm kidding. It would take you more than a day to get from Billings to Denver and there are no cities between, just the Buffalo Bill Cody Museum in Cody, Thermopolis: the city of mineral hot springs and buffalo...errr...bison and a dinosaur museum (they find lots of em out there), indian reservations (actually not fun to visit), sage brush. I guess there's Atlantic City - NOT a city!! Kinda cool though. Sinks Canyon is pretty.

If you think about it Michael, there aren't a lot of really noteworthy cities in the center of the US - lakes area excluded.

St. Louis is pretty much out of your way. What else is there? Lincoln, NE. Kansas City, KA and MO. ewww.