Discussion World Forum  

Go Back   Discussion World Forum > Other Forums > Travel

Travel Where have you been? Where are you planning to go? Where would you like to go?

Old Apr 19th 2010, 05:32 PM
Administrator
Herder of Cats

Default Re: Driving Atlantic to Pacific

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilettante View Post
Oi! North West Wyoming contains some of the most amazing scenery in the country! Especially for those willing to stray more than 100 yards from their cars to go and see it.
Yes, I've been specifically told that Wyoming is one of the most beautiful places in America. It would be scheduled on the 'return-leg'.
Old Apr 19th 2010, 06:31 PM
Globetrotter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael View Post
Yes, I've been specifically told that Wyoming is one of the most beautiful places in America. It would be scheduled on the 'return-leg'.
Southern route going west?

I've hunted both antelope and elk in Wyoming surrounded by take one's breath away natural beauty. Had family there for many years and visited most of the state. Utah also has some of the most beautiful country in that area.
Old Apr 19th 2010, 06:41 PM
Administrator
Herder of Cats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Americano View Post
Southern route going west?

I've hunted both antelope and elk in Wyoming surrounded by take one's breath away natural beauty. Had family there for many years and visited most of the state. Utah also has some of the most beautiful country in that area.
Basically yes, though not too southern for the east-to-west. I've already driven through most of the south-east and we have no interest in seeing Texas at all.

More northerly route back. Nothing is planned yet, just a basic outline to see if it is a worthwhile trip.

We're not planning to drive interstates all the way. I've driven in the USA and those big interstate highways are boring as fuck and loaded with transport trucks. That's not my idea of a 'road-trip'!
Old Apr 20th 2010, 12:32 AM
Resident Anthropologist

If you're doing the back roads you MUST get to the junction of route K and route KK in Missouri just east of Columbia and take your picture there. It's that subtle, cheeky Missourah humour!
Old Apr 21st 2010, 12:56 PM
Globetrotter

Quote:
Basically yes, though not too southern for the east-to-west. I've already driven through most of the south-east and we have no interest in seeing Texas at all.

More northerly route back. Nothing is planned yet, just a basic outline to see if it is a worthwhile trip.

We're not planning to drive interstates all the way. I've driven in the USA and those big interstate highways are boring as fuck and loaded with transport trucks. That's not my idea of a 'road-trip'!
This might be of interest.
Old Apr 21st 2010, 09:49 PM
Administrator
Herder of Cats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Americano View Post
This might be of interest.
Yes, Route 66 is definitely on the list.

Gotta get a picture standing by one of those Hwy signposts!
Old Apr 22nd 2010, 07:28 PM
Administrator
Herder of Cats

I'm thinking that a baseball game would be nice to fit in. I like to see a ballgame from the cheapest beacher seats in famous old ballparks - it is a great way to get a 'feel' for the local culture.

Given the route, I'm thinking Cinncinati might be the best bet. Any other suggestions? I've been to ballgames in NYC, Boston, Phili and Chicago in years past. I suppose LA or SF might be a possibility.

Phili and Chicago were by far the best experiences - those 'bleacher-creatures' have all kinds of traditions and they are a colorful bunch drawn from the 'less wealthy' sections of society.
Old Apr 22nd 2010, 07:32 PM
Bad Motherfucker

Quote:
I'm thinking that a baseball game would be nice to fit in. I like to see a ballgame from the cheapest bleacher seats in famous old ballparks - it is a great way to get a 'feel' for the local culture.

Given the route, I'm thinking Cinncinati might be the best bet. Any other suggestions? I've been to ballgames in NYC, Boston, Phili and Chicago in years past. I suppose LA or SF might be a possibility.

Phili and Chicago were by far the best experiences - those 'bleacher-creatures' have all kinds of traditions and they are a colorful bunch drawn from the 'less wealthy' sections of society.
Cincy has a nice field. You pick a Sunday or Monday game and we may even join you.
Old Apr 22nd 2010, 09:14 PM
Globetrotter

Quote:
I'm thinking that a baseball game would be nice to fit in. I like to see a ballgame from the cheapest beacher seats in famous old ballparks - it is a great way to get a 'feel' for the local culture.

On a road trip such as you're planning I'd need serious goals in Ohio to stop there.

Quote:
Old Apr 23rd 2010, 06:25 AM
World Citizen

Michael, check out the area around Santa Fe/Taos, New Mexico. Just gorgeous. In fact, that whole four corners area is superb road trip territory -- New Mexico, Arizona, Colorado and Utah.

If you do go to the area, check out Rancho_de_Chamayo. Great food in an old adobe hacienda with spectacular views and, they also have a few very nice guest rooms.

Last edited by Lily; Apr 23rd 2010 at 06:32 AM.