Discussion World Forum  

Go Back   Discussion World Forum > Other Forums > Travel

Travel Where have you been? Where are you planning to go? Where would you like to go?

Old Dec 24th 2008, 11:03 AM
Globetrotter

Default Re: Where would you like to travel to?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael View Post
Do you mean to say that you felt 'less like a foreigner' in Taiwan or Hong Kong than in Japan?
Yes. Both due to my height and English speakers being more prevalent in Taipei and Hong Kong, especially Hong Kong.
Old Mar 15th 2009, 09:11 AM
Administrator
Herder of Cats

One trip I've been thinking about and vaguely planning for quite some time is to visit Wales and Northern England. The goal would be a walking/hiking/train journey to see the Edwardian castles of northern Wales as well as Hadrian's Wall in northern England.

I've been doing lots of research to find really old places to stay at - lots of converted mills, tower-houses and small castles have been converted to bed & breakfast type places all over the countryside.
Old Mar 15th 2009, 10:01 AM
Bad Motherfucker

A) Red River Gorge, about an hour from here.

B) Yosemite
B) Hawaii
B) Japan
B) China
B) India
B) South Africa
B) Australia
B) Egypt
B) Israel
B) Romania
B) Germany
B) Prague
B) Paris
B) Madrid
B) Ireland
B) Rio
B) Bogota
B) Back to Florida
B) Back to New York
Old Mar 18th 2009, 07:37 PM
Villager

Next week the winter coat and jacket are making their annual trip to the cleaners and I am flying off to sun sand and a beach after a long cold Canadian winter!

Sometimes where you want to go isn't a destination but a state of mind!
Old Jul 17th 2009, 07:58 AM
World Citizen

So, my vacation time this year has been approved, Oct. 5-15. I'm thinking road trip. Starting point is about an hour north of the Tampa area. I've been to the mountains of N. Carolina and Tennessee many, many times, although I'm not against visiting that general area again if I can find some new areas to see. I definitely want to head out of the state of Florida and I'm not all that interested in beach communities. I have great ones here.

I don't make reservations. In the true spirit of a road trip, I just get in the car and go where the asphalt takes me. Interesting road to the west? Okay, let's see what's there. I've recently purchased a new Nikon SLR, so I plan to take lots and lots of photos. Just an idea of what kind of photos I like, one week I spent making photos of structures in Georgia that had been engulfed and nearly taken down by kudzu. I called the series "Reclamation."

Anyone have any suggestions for a good road trip?
Old Jul 17th 2009, 10:36 AM
Globetrotter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lily View Post
So, my vacation time this year has been approved, Oct. 5-15. I'm thinking road trip. Starting point is about an hour north of the Tampa area. I've been to the mountains of N. Carolina and Tennessee many, many times, although I'm not against visiting that general area again if I can find some new areas to see. I definitely want to head out of the state of Florida and I'm not all that interested in beach communities. I have great ones here.

I don't make reservations. In the true spirit of a road trip, I just get in the car and go where the asphalt takes me. Interesting road to the west? Okay, let's see what's there. I've recently purchased a new Nikon SLR, so I plan to take lots and lots of photos. Just an idea of what kind of photos I like, one week I spent making photos of structures in Georgia that had been engulfed and nearly taken down by kudzu. I called the series "Reclamation."

Ten days is definitely going to limit your range. Have you considered flying to say Seattle and driving a one-way rental back through Washington, Idaho, Montana and Wyoming?
Old Jul 17th 2009, 12:52 PM
Official Forum Geek

Quote:

Why not drive as far south as those key-hopping roads will allow?

I dunno. If I were in your shoes, I'd probably go up the Gulf Coast and visit Alabama and Mississippi, and maybe on up to the Ozarks. Eat a lot of soul food on the way, camp for a night or two, and then head back.
Old Jul 18th 2009, 06:25 AM
World Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Americano View Post
Ten days is definitely going to limit your range. Have you considered flying to say Seattle and driving a one-way rental back through Washington, Idaho, Montana and Wyoming?
That's an interesting alternative. I've never been to the Pacific Northwest, nor have I driven across that area of the country. The landscape, from what I've seen in photos and film, is spectacular. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by drgoodtrips View Post
Why not drive as far south as those key-hopping roads will allow?

I dunno. If I were in your shoes, I'd probably go up the Gulf Coast and visit Alabama and Mississippi, and maybe on up to the Ozarks. Eat a lot of soul food on the way, camp for a night or two, and then head back.
I was thinking of following along the old Natchez Trace route through those states. Plenty of soul food and Blues, I would imagine. Perhaps I might find some ghosts of the Antebellum South. Thank you.
Old Aug 29th 2009, 08:46 AM
World Citizen

Seems my vacation plans have been waylaid this year, but for a good reason. If all goes well, I'll be moving into my new home and using my vacation time to pack and set up my new house.

I love my land here, but I just can no longer tolerate the pitbulls running free in the streets, the indiscriminate gunfire at all hours of the day and night, the lack of even one decent bookstore (not to mention a good restaurant), just one place that has decent live music, people who actually read books and above all, a real hospital. I'm returning to civilization and I'm having a good Lamb Vindaloo just as soon as I get there.
Old Aug 29th 2009, 09:53 AM
Administrator
Herder of Cats

Quote:
Seems my vacation plans have been waylaid this year, but for a good reason. If all goes well, I'll be moving into my new home and using my vacation time to pack and set up my new house.

I love my land here, but I just can no longer tolerate the pitbulls running free in the streets, the indiscriminate gunfire at all hours of the day and night, the lack of even one decent bookstore (not to mention a good restaurant), just one place that has decent live music, people who actually read books and above all, a real hospital. I'm returning to civilization and I'm having a good Lamb Vindaloo just as soon as I get there.
Smallish college towns are apparently the best places to live in the USA - if one goes by any of the 'quality of life' type indexes. They usually have some decent bookstores, coffeeshops, restaurants and some nightlife in a way that most smallish towns do not have these things.