Discussion World Forum  

Go Back   Discussion World Forum > Other Forums > Travel

Travel Where have you been? Where are you planning to go? Where would you like to go?

Old Oct 7th 2014, 06:58 PM
Official Forum Mascot

Default Re: Where have you traveled to?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael View Post
Well, actually, Spain has a bit of an old reputation for that as well.

By exotic, I meant 'vaguely or slightly less westernized'.

Btw, my niece and her boyfriend just traveled around southeast asia (Oz, NZ, Singapore, Thailand, Vietnam, etc). It was Vietnam that was the most exotic for her - they only have washrooms that consist of just a hole in the floor and that can be a bit of a culture shock for a white suburban girl from Canada. That's what I mean by exotic!
Ah yes. Hole-In-The-Floor toilets also exist in Hungary. I suspect Hungary will always be a slightly odd blip in Europe. Even though it shares many things with the countries around it, it's language and some of its culture are so completely distinct as to always alienate it to an extent.

Btw, Spain has an old reputation for fascism, but Hungary has a current one. My wife's mom actually said, after her last visit, that she preferred it under Soviet rule. That may be hyperbole, but it also says a lot.
Old Oct 7th 2014, 07:15 PM
Globetrotter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Palven View Post
I was impressed by the general respect that the Catholics and Muslims seem to have for each other in Spain, [...]
Shhhh.
You shouldn't say that. People are supposed to believe in Islamization and the Clash of Cultures.
Old Oct 7th 2014, 07:18 PM
Globetrotter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donkey View Post
My wife and I are tentatively planning to go to Hungary next year, either in June or October.
Be careful out there. I ain't kidding. If you're mistaken for a Roma or a gypsy bad shit may happen.
Old Oct 7th 2014, 07:39 PM
Official Forum Mascot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominick View Post
Shhhh.
You shouldn't say that. People are supposed to believe in Islamization and the Clash of Cultures.
Ah the Clash of Civilizations. The first time I remember truly and unequivocally thinking something with Academic Weight was complete bullshit.
Quote:
Be careful out there. I ain't kidding. If you're mistaken for a Roma or a gypsy bad shit may happen.
Indeed. Occasionally I ponder what it would like to be a leftish organizer there. Orban is increasingly a problem for the EU.
Old Oct 7th 2014, 08:08 PM
Cranky Curmudgeon

Quote:
Shhhh.
(Keep this very quiet, but we even met intermarried Christians and Muslims both in Spain and France, and we didn't hear any suggestions that they be murdered.)
Old Oct 7th 2014, 09:55 PM
Official Forum Mascot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Palven View Post
(Keep this very quiet, but we even met intermarried Christians and Muslims both in Spain and France, and we didn't hear any suggestions that they be murdered.)
Let's not pretend all is hunky dory in France though. You can find absolutely peaceful interaction and marriage between Christians and Muslims here in the US, but we certainly have Islamophobia here.

Hell, on the forum we have a Christian that is married to a Muslim in a country not known for tolerance...
Old Oct 9th 2014, 07:08 PM
Globetrotter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donkey View Post
Let's not pretend all is hunky dory in France though.
No, it isn't. But peaceful cohabitation is the norm, not confrontation. It's as if the 99,9% of Muslims who just go about their daily business don't exist in the media.
Old Oct 9th 2014, 08:53 PM
Official Forum Mascot

Quote:
No, it isn't. But peaceful cohabitation is the norm, not confrontation. It's as if the 99,9% of Muslims who just go about their daily business don't exist in the media.
Arguably the same here. We have thousands of Palestinians in Cleveland and it's not really ever a thing.
Old Oct 10th 2014, 05:34 PM
Administrator
Herder of Cats

Quote:
I would venture to say that the toxicity of Muslims, or Islamic culture generally, is directly proportional to the physical distance from Saudi Arabia.

Muslims close to Saudi tend to be toxic. Muslims living thousands of miles from Saudi tend to be much less so. Morocco, Malaysia and Turkey don't seem to be flooded with fanatical muslims the way Saudi, the Gulf, Iran and Iraq are.
Old Oct 11th 2014, 08:27 AM
Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael View Post
Muslims close to Saudi tend to be toxic. Muslims living thousands of miles from Saudi tend to be much less so. Morocco, Malaysia and Turkey don't seem to be flooded with fanatical muslims the way Saudi, the Gulf, Iran and Iraq are.
Exactly. I can mention the Tuareg tribe (Berberic) living happily in Sahara, who seem to not care about anything. I can be wrong however.

Muslims are never same. Turkish people who were present in my school due to Erasmus program were fine. I never seen them violent, abusive and I never seen them being abused by anyone. And now I have a Chechen girl in group - surprisingly, she doesn't have a gun nor emblems with shahada.