Discussion World Forum  

Go Back   Discussion World Forum > Discussion Forums > Computers & Technology

Computers & Technology Computer issues, hardware, software, internet and new technologies.

Old Oct 11th 2011, 08:05 AM
Citizen

Default Re: Steve Jobs, 1955-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominick View Post
That MySQL isn't included with the standard Max OS X, is it ? Neither is any database server. But there are more important issues than standard packages. Can you reconfigure/recompile the kernel ?
It's BSD. So, yeah, if you feel like it, go ahead and re-compile the kernel.

MySQL doesn't come pre-installed. You have to download and install it yourself (oh, the horror!). There are several options for installing the free package, including common command-line software management tools.

Quote:
No, I don't have a Mac. Why would I pay twice as much for hardware and get proprietary software when I already have a completely free OS, or indeed several.
Right, so when you made definitive claims about Macs, you weren't speaking from any actual experience. And, as it turns out, you were wrong.

I am the 0.00000033%
Old Oct 11th 2011, 08:07 AM
Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by drgoodtrips View Post
Can you set up SSH/file server on a Mac out of the box? (I'm not participating in the Linux vs Mac argument -- just my own curiosity).
Yes. SSH is installed out of the box. Depending on the version of the OS, FTP is available out of the box, as are Samba and AFP.

And, of course, since the underpinnings are BSD, you can add alternative daemons (vsftpd, etc) and run sftp, etc etc etc.

I am the 0.00000033%
Old Oct 11th 2011, 10:59 AM
Globetrotter

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Dot View Post
It's BSD. So, yeah, if you feel like it, go ahead and re-compile the kernel.

MySQL doesn't come pre-installed. You have to download and install it yourself (oh, the horror!). There are several options for installing the free package, including common command-line software management tools.

Right, so when you made definitive claims about Macs, you weren't speaking from any actual experience. And, as it turns out, you were wrong.
I'd like to see an exhaustive list of what exactly Mac OS X and Mac OS X server contain first. That shouldn't be too much of an effort for a Mac?
Old Oct 11th 2011, 04:00 PM
Citizen

Quote:
I'd like to see an exhaustive list of what exactly Mac OS X and Mac OS X server contain first. That shouldn't be too much of an effort for a Mac?
I'm sure it's out there someplace. Google might help you.

I am the 0.00000033%
Old Oct 11th 2011, 05:49 PM
Official Forum Geek

Quote:
Yes. SSH is installed out of the box. Depending on the version of the OS, FTP is available out of the box, as are Samba and AFP.

And, of course, since the underpinnings are BSD, you can add alternative daemons (vsftpd, etc) and run sftp, etc etc etc.
That's interesting... are there restrictions on it? Like, in the Microsoft world, you can set up the IIS web server on "non-server" versions of the OS, but they impose some kind of concurrent user limit (8 users or something). Is there any equivalent on OSX or do they just give you whatever BSD does unfettered?
Old Oct 11th 2011, 09:20 PM
Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by drgoodtrips View Post
That's interesting... are there restrictions on it? Like, in the Microsoft world, you can set up the IIS web server on "non-server" versions of the OS, but they impose some kind of concurrent user limit (8 users or something). Is there any equivalent on OSX or do they just give you whatever BSD does unfettered?
You get whatever BSD will run. Apache comes with OS X. PHP as well. Python and MySQL quick & painless to install.

I am the 0.00000033%
Old Oct 11th 2011, 11:14 PM
Globetrotter

Quote:
I'm sure it's out there someplace. Google might help you.
Usually Mac advocates have that kind of information at their fingertips. Anyway, I've been looking into it and I admit I'm positively impressed. Nevertheless, I still see no reason why I would pay twice as much for hardware to get at most the same functionality ? (the cheapest quadcore comes at 2,499 here. I can build three PC rigs for that.)
Old Oct 18th 2011, 09:09 AM
Nomad

Steve Jobs was a confusing character. On one hand, he was a brilliant businessman and a visionary when it came to product design. He was extremely hard to work with in his younger years but in the last decade or so most co-workers say he was a very pleasant man to work with. On the other hand, Jobs was a complete dick when it came to human rights/ workers rights because he had Apple sweatshops hidden all over Asia which made Apple products. So should Steve Jobs be celebrated?
Old Oct 18th 2011, 09:27 AM
Official Forum Mascot

Quote:
Originally Posted by samina1230 View Post
Steve Jobs was a confusing character. On one hand, he was a brilliant businessman and a visionary when it came to product design. He was extremely hard to work with in his younger years but in the last decade or so most co-workers say he was a very pleasant man to work with. On the other hand, Jobs was a complete dick when it came to human rights/ workers rights because he had Apple sweatshops hidden all over Asia which made Apple products. So should Steve Jobs be celebrated?
Very astute, for a bot.
Old Oct 18th 2011, 05:47 PM
Administrator
Herder of Cats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donkey View Post
Very astute, for a bot.
Not a bot. Someone who gets paid to spam.