Discussion World Forum  

Go Back   Discussion World Forum > Discussion Forums > Computers & Technology

Computers & Technology Computer issues, hardware, software, internet and new technologies.

Old Aug 1st 2011, 08:35 PM
Globetrotter

Default Re: Privacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by drgoodtrips View Post
Yeah, the time thing is big. I've had this in my head for 3 years, and I'm losing ground to would-be competitors. I've sort of lucked out in that Apple, with its cachet and recent trendiness managed to reset the clock to 1994 as far as mobile devices are concerned, but sooner or later the tech world is going to collectively figure out how stupid the "app" is. (Hey, look, I just downloaded a program that lets me go on ebay! It's like accessing it through my web browser on my computer, but on my phone, it takes up disk space, needs constant updating, and sometimes crashes! If only my phone had a 3.5 inch floppy drive so I could load apps when I'm in my basement and not getting a signal!)
Most consumers have never been the sharpest knife in the drawer. Downloading dozens (hundreds?) of free aps to a mobile device and updating them is a form of consumer slavery Apple has refined into an art. Those consumers will eventually realize they've been had regarding time priorities and seek other avenues with superior convenience. I'm not aware of any company I'm familiar with providing Apple mobiles to employees for business purposes.

It reminds me of when Macs controlled the graphic design industry. Cool colors, buzzword Apple name and no memory limitations. IT managers dependent on capital cost savings as a major bonus component crashed that craze when PC vendors pointed out it was a matter of adding memory to desktop PCs for about half the cost for a PC versus a Mac. Technology always wins over consumer fads.

Quote:
But, I digress. I have a business plan in place, and now that I've set up my professional website, I'm getting back to developing in earnest. And yes, I'm going to automate a lot of things that are generally done manually - backup of sensitive information, storage of financial/house/insurance info, things of that nature. That's in addition to the actual mechanical/electrical automation tasks. Even rigging up a simple home alarm system is pretty straightforward and inexpensive.
Old Aug 2nd 2011, 03:25 PM
Official Forum Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Americano View Post
Most consumers have never been the sharpest knife in the drawer. Downloading dozens (hundreds?) of free aps to a mobile device and updating them is a form of consumer slavery Apple has refined into an art. Those consumers will eventually realize they've been had regarding time priorities and seek other avenues with superior convenience. I'm not aware of any company I'm familiar with providing Apple mobiles to employees for business purposes.
I can't imagine any serious player in any industry doing that -- adopting Apple commercially means essentially adding Steve Jobs as an IT decision maker who doesn't know or care about your company. What's that? You want to use your iWhatever as an inventory hand scanner? Well, you can submit your app for app store approval and then we'll sell it back to you!

The only companies I can see adopting Apple products for infrastructure are small family-type ones that are run by a dictator type that happens to be an Apple fan.

Quote:
It reminds me of when Macs controlled the graphic design industry. Cool colors, buzzword Apple name and no memory limitations. IT managers dependent on capital cost savings as a major bonus component crashed that craze when PC vendors pointed out it was a matter of adding memory to desktop PCs for about half the cost for a PC versus a Mac. Technology always wins over consumer fads.
Yeah, that's why the comparison of certain tech companies amuses me. People talk about the decline of, say, Microsoft versus Apple. Apple makes toys. Microsoft rules the corporate computing market as an evil overlord. Long after the fickle public decides that Android Butterball or Blackberry Crash (or any other fictitious product I can dream up) is snazzier than the iPhone 12, companies will still need to email each other and read each other's documents.

Apple, as run by Steve Jobs, could never be a serious player there (nor really could any of the cell phone manufacturers in their existing incarnations so long as they consider themselves hardware companies that make software to compliment their hardware).

Kind of ironic that it worked out that way, since the only worse actor in the sphere of vendor lockin than Microsoft is, well, Apple. All the "1984" commercials notwithstanding, it's a damned good thing that Apple didn't emerge from the early days of the PC as the dominant force. Microsoft was bad enough in that you had no choice of OS. Imagine if you also had no choice as to what kind of computer you purchased and what software you were allowed to install/download onto it. The computer would have been an appliance instead of a computer.
Old Aug 2nd 2011, 05:47 PM
Administrator
Herder of Cats

Quote:
Actually, it was the non-existent server support market for Macs in the graphic-design industry that actually killed the dominance of the Macs.

But paying a premium price for Macs seems to be hardwired into the hardcore Mac user fanbase - they still pay a big premium for a machine that isn't as good as a PC nowadays and are proud of it (and full of scorn for anyone who isn't a Mac-droid - apparently all the pro-Apple arguments are dead now, they have nothing left but their scorn now - which just proves that the argument was emotional attachment all along).
Old Aug 2nd 2011, 08:49 PM
Globetrotter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael View Post
Actually, it was the non-existent server support market for Macs in the graphic-design industry that actually killed the dominance of the Macs.
I only saw the financial side. In the early days servers were configured to service them as guests; they could only communicate with each other and it took a department PC with an admin person to electronically communicate with other departments. Gross inefficiency.

Quote:
But paying a premium price for Macs seems to be hardwired into the hardcore Mac user fanbase - they still pay a big premium for a machine that isn't as good as a PC nowadays and are proud of it (and full of scorn for anyone who isn't a Mac-droid - apparently all the pro-Apple arguments are dead now, they have nothing left but their scorn now - which just proves that the argument was emotional attachment all along).
You want emotion? Try explaining that to an iPhone consumer on a locked-in extended contract that includes, ahem, the opportunity for new aps and upgrades. Apple markets simple addiction.
Old Aug 3rd 2011, 07:09 PM
Administrator
Herder of Cats

Quote:
I only saw the financial side. In the early days servers were configured to service them as guests; they could only communicate with each other and it took a department PC with an admin person to electronically communicate with other departments. Gross inefficiency.
Yes, right from the start, servers were the weakspot for the Macs. Eventually the techies made servers that could serve both Mac and PC networks at the same time, but these always seemed to be unique configurations for each installation.

Ultimately, the real technical breakthrough that ended the 'war' was the fact that Apple adopted a UNIX based kernal for OS10. That meant that Windows, UNIX and LINUX based servers could communicate directly with the Macs. For the same reason, Macs can now run Windows software.

Quote:
You want emotion? Try explaining that to an iPhone consumer on a locked-in extended contract that includes, ahem, the opportunity for new aps and upgrades. Apple markets simple addiction.
No different than explaining the 'surprise' of any locked-in consumer contract.

But yes, Apple seems to engender a higher, more intense and more enduring attachment than most other similar consumer brand fetishes. Apple Corporation (and Steve Jobs) is rolling in cash to prove it.
Old Aug 8th 2011, 04:42 PM
World Citizen

Quote:
Yes, right from the start, servers were the weakspot for the Macs. Eventually the techies made servers that could serve both Mac and PC networks at the same time, but these always seemed to be unique configurations for each installation.

Ultimately, the real technical breakthrough that ended the 'war' was the fact that Apple adopted a UNIX based kernal for OS10. That meant that Windows, UNIX and LINUX based servers could communicate directly with the Macs. For the same reason, Macs can now run Windows software.

No different than explaining the 'surprise' of any locked-in consumer contract.

But yes, Apple seems to engender a higher, more intense and more enduring attachment than most other similar consumer brand fetishes. Apple Corporation (and Steve Jobs) is rolling in cash to prove it.
Its not just marketing its human factors engineering by Apple.
Old Aug 14th 2011, 10:06 AM
Administrator
Herder of Cats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarquon View Post
Its not just marketing its human factors engineering by Apple.
Yes, I'm quite aware of the extent of Apple's business model. It hasn't changed in years.

Btw, Apple's famous interface is only user-friendly for those who have been immersed in Apple products for years. People who are entirely new to Apple products tend to find them as confusing and difficult to use as any other product.
Old Aug 17th 2011, 09:55 AM
Official Forum Mascot

Quote:
Yes, I'm quite aware of the extent of Apple's business model. It hasn't changed in years.

Btw, Apple's famous interface is only user-friendly for those who have been immersed in Apple products for years. People who are entirely new to Apple products tend to find them as confusing and difficult to use as any other product.
Depends. Ipod? Pretty intuitive. Macbook? Fucking obtuse.
Old Aug 17th 2011, 06:22 PM
Administrator
Herder of Cats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donkey View Post
Depends. Ipod? Pretty intuitive. Macbook? Fucking obtuse.
I was referring to the Mac computers specifically that have been long praised (by Applephiles of course) as brilliant and intuitive. Iphones seem to fall into this category as well.

I've used Macs for years at work and I hate having to use them because they are so annoying, unintuitive and completely opaque. For me, Apple has always been about "fashion trumping function".
Old Aug 17th 2011, 06:27 PM
Official Forum Mascot

Quote:
I was referring to the Mac computers specifically that have been long praised (by Applephiles of course) as brilliant and intuitive. Iphones seem to fall into this category as well.

I've used Macs for years at work and I hate having to use them because they are so annoying, unintuitive and completely opaque. For me, Apple has always been about "fashion trumping function".
Corporate Fashionism.