Discussion World Forum  

Go Back   Discussion World Forum > Discussion Forums > Religion & Moral Issues

Religion & Moral Issues For discussion of all issues of religion, spiritualism, faith and moral issues.

Old Apr 30th 2011, 08:51 PM
Globetrotter

Default Orthodox Christian fashion show in Moscow

Just a couple months ago Proiterei of the Russian Orthodox Church, head of its Public Relations department, Vsevolod Chaplin

had said that Russian women must dress more modestly.

Today, we have a reaction. Yesterday, in Moscow, for the first time ever, took place a fashion show for observant Orthodox Christian women, "Traditions and Style", co-hosted and judged personally by Chaplin himself

And, it was announced, special boutiques will be opened in all big cities, that will cater to religious Orthodox women...

Personally, all this concerns me. Russia is supposed to be a secular country. This is signalling the growing influence of the Church and of the growing religious population.
Old Apr 30th 2011, 10:35 PM
Official Forum Lutheran

Default Re: Orthodox Christian fashion show in Moscow

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeMyselfAndI View Post
Personally, all this concerns me. Russia is supposed to be a secular country. This is signalling the growing influence of the Church and of the growing religious population.
It could be signaling that, or it could be signaling that the Church is struggling and thinks a gimmick will get people in the doors.

Either way, it's a gimmick. Gimmick's don't work for the Church so it won't last that long.
Old Apr 30th 2011, 11:02 PM
Globetrotter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Non Sequitur View Post
It could be signaling that, or it could be signaling that the Church is struggling and thinks a gimmick will get people in the doors.

Either way, it's a gimmick. Gimmick's don't work for the Church so it won't last that long.
I don't think the Church is struggling. Religious families are ones growing in this country, as they are ones who have most children. Just for Russian/Slavic, Christian segment of the population, 2/3 of children are born in hardline religious, church going households

Atheists, meanwhile, are lucky if they have a family to begin with... Who is struggling is a damn good question, actually.
Old Apr 30th 2011, 11:24 PM
Official Forum Mascot

The trick is retention.
Old Apr 30th 2011, 11:29 PM
Globetrotter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donkey View Post
The trick is retention.
Old Apr 30th 2011, 11:31 PM
Official Forum Mascot

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeMyselfAndI View Post
I question whether in 25 years, all these young Orthodox will still be practicing.
Old Apr 30th 2011, 11:49 PM
Resident Anthropologist

Sorry - I was cracking up with laughter at the 'fashion show' pictures. I suspect that as my reaction is mirrored in the digital age of communication and young Russians see the reactions of their international peers that they may not actually follow down the path the church is suggesting. The lure of the West is powerful and while I respect that Russia is a huge and thriving country with immense cultural weight of its own, the influence of the outside might be unavoidable. Time will tell though.
Old May 1st 2011, 12:03 AM
Globetrotter

What was the Russian government's role in the fashion show? Did they orchestrate it? Did they finance it?
And what about the boutiques? Will they be state-financed, or state orchestrated?
Old May 1st 2011, 02:45 AM
Globetrotter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donkey View Post
I question whether in 25 years, all these young Orthodox will still be practicing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greendruid View Post
Sorry - I was cracking up with laughter at the 'fashion show' pictures. I suspect that as my reaction is mirrored in the digital age of communication and young Russians see the reactions of their international peers that they may not actually follow down the path the church is suggesting. The lure of the West is powerful and while I respect that Russia is a huge and thriving country with immense cultural weight of its own, the influence of the outside might be unavoidable. Time will tell though.
Not that simple. Majority of those religious people live in rural areas. Most don't use Internet. Much of what they read (newspapers, books), hear (radio), or watch (if they have a TV) is influenced by the Church. Like Communist propaganda back in the USSR, Church propaganda controls the minds of these people now. There are now 3 Orthodox Christianity-oriented TV channels now, dozens of radio stations, hundreds of newspapers. In schools in regions with heavily religious populations, subjects like Foundations of Orthodox Christianity; Russia and the Orthodox Faith; etc, are introduced, while, for example, children are no longer taught about evolution. They are taught that God created everything, as an absolute truth...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickKIELCEPoland View Post
What was the Russian government's role in the fashion show? Did they orchestrate it? Did they finance it?
And what about the boutiques? Will they be state-financed, or state orchestrated?
It's all funded by the Church. And the government is allied with the Church. In fact, I believe that for them, religion has become the new ideology, after Communism.
Old May 1st 2011, 02:57 AM
Globetrotter

But does the state use tax-payers' money to maintain the church?
And is this real Christianity, or is it just part-time Christianity, which Cossack men practise?

Last edited by NickKIELCEPoland; May 1st 2011 at 03:01 AM.