Discussion World Forum  

Go Back   Discussion World Forum > Discussion Forums > Society, Media & Culture

Society, Media & Culture Sociology, lifestyles, psychology, paranormal, media studies and all things cultural.

Old Mar 15th 2016, 08:31 PM
Globetrotter

Default A group to help Mulatto children?

Another thing my dear wife is getting involved in.

Herself and some other activists are setting up a new community group, which will eventually work in several cities. This group aims to help Mulatto children, i.e. half-African dark skinned children of mixed relations between Russians and migrants or students from Africa.

There are as many as 70,000 "Afro-Russians"

which includes some 40,000 mixed-race children. Many black Russians have been here since the Soviet period. We are not the only country in ex-USSR with people of African ancestry. Ukraine also has several thousand black citizens, for example, and even there are some Kazakhstan too.

Many black or mixed Russians have become successful, mainly in sports or entertainment, such as brother and sister basketball stars Viktor and Katerina Keyru

(Russian-Ukrainian mother, father from Sierra-Leone)

World champion triple jumper Lyukman Adams

and his footballer brother Lyonel

(Russian mother, Nigerian father)

Nkeiruka Esekh, of the Women's Curling Team

(Also Russian mother and Nigerian father)

TV host Ivan Traore, one of the main personalities of RenTV's news show "Anatomy of the Day"

(Father came from Mali)

Actor and rapper Pierre Narciss

(Came from Cameroon as a young man, as a student, and stayed)

There are respected academics, Sergey Kotov-Dartey, Doctor of Economics

His biography here, bottom half is in English: http://inter-academy.ru/kotov_about.html

Even politicians, like Jean Gregoire Sagbo, first ever black Russian who got elected to town council in Novozavidovo, near Tver

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jean_Sagbo

I can go on and on. There are actually many very successful Afro-Russians, shockingly so, for such a small community.

They are also patriotic. The name of Minin Traore (no relation to Ivan, except his father was also from Mali) will forever live on in Russian military circles, this Mulatto kid who joined the Airborne and went to fight in Chechnya in late 1990s

He is said to have greatly confused many of the terrorists there with his skin colour lol They could not understand who was this black guy, fighting against them alongside Russians haha

And today, the war in Donbass has pitted ex-Soviet black people against each other: black Ukrainians have joined their volunteer National Guard units

and meanwhile black Russians have joined the Novorossia militias

Many older Mulattos grew up without fathers: their fathers left for their African homelands, not knowing their girlfriends back in Russia got pregnant (or, possibly, knew and ran from the responsibility, that too happens with many men...)

Today's mixed children mainly come from mixed-race families, such as Natalia Molodkina and her African emigrant husband Innocent (that is his actual name lol) in Vladimir

Natalia says Innocent pleasantly surprised her.

He is polite and courteous to her, and is ready to help with housework and with their child, unlike Russian men (well... I resent that, but I do see where she is coming from, I actually do help my wife around the home, but I am a rather rare exception in that, I am sad to say... dominant culture here is against men washing dishes or doing laundry and such or doing things with the child, aside from sports...)

The family are relatively prosperous, by provincial standards (Natalia is a teacher, a respected and well-paid government job; and Innocent is a professional dancer and dance instructor (they actually met when she came to a night-club with some friends and he was dancing there, apparently... in the article, we were left to wonder if this is a male striptease club lol). They live in a nicer neighbourhood.

Still, Natalia says they do get people staring at them when walking outside together; and once, when Innocent took their child, who actually looks more white and Russian than African, to see a doctor, a policeman apparently stopped him on the street and demanded documents to see it is really his child, that he did not steal the baby boy somewhere... And they know there are certain parts of Vladimir where a couple like them would be very unwise to ever set foot at all...

Their economic situation is also not usual for such households: majority of Afro-Russian marriages are into lower class families, actually, into poorer and much more conservative neighbourhoods and towns.

Many such kids grow up the only one in a town, or whole region who looks like they do. Sometimes, their own siblings do not even look like them

(Brother and sister, believe it or not, somewhere in rural Russia; their mother is a Mulatto woman, daughter of a African father and Russian mother; and their father is Russian)

They can face horrible racism and bullying... In earlier half of 2000s, skinhead gangs targeted blacks, Asians, anybody who did not look white. These days, there is less of that. Now, after people see black athletes win medals for Russia, and black warriors fight alongside Slavic and other Russians in Donbass, lot more people are inclined to come to the aid of a black Russian who is being mistreated, including young people, fortunately.

Still, things happen. Well, this group my wife is joining with, they intend to reach out to all these Mulatto children, to show them they are not alone like that, encourage them, and help stop any mistreatment they may be experiencing. I will gladly help too. I think all our citizens should be able to live happy lives here in Russia. :-)
Old Mar 16th 2016, 02:29 PM
Resident Historian

Default Re: A group to help Mulatto children?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeMyselfAndI View Post
Another thing my dear wife is getting involved in.

Well, this group my wife is joining with, they intend to reach out to all these Mulatto children, to show them they are not alone like that, encourage them, and help stop any mistreatment they may be experiencing. I will gladly help too. I think all our citizens should be able to live happy lives here in Russia. :-)

Your wife sounds like quite the lady. More power to her (and you) in giving people help and hope.
Old Mar 16th 2016, 06:05 PM
Administrator
Herder of Cats

Do mixed race [mulattos] face more social stigma or racism than black people in Russia?

If so, that seems a bit odd given that the reverse tends to be true in the USA - which incidentally has a mulatto President right now. In the US, light-skinned blacks or mixed-race blacks tend to be less discriminated against than actual or full-blooded African-American blacks.
Old Mar 16th 2016, 08:24 PM
Globetrotter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilettante View Post

Your wife sounds like quite the lady. More power to her (and you) in giving people help and hope.
I do admire her for that too

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael View Post
Do mixed race [mulattos] face more social stigma or racism than black people in Russia?

If so, that seems a bit odd given that the reverse tends to be true in the USA - which incidentally has a mulatto President right now. In the US, light-skinned blacks or mixed-race blacks tend to be less discriminated against than actual or full-blooded African-American blacks.
I wouldn't say that. Sometimes, maybe, yes, only for the "sin" of their mother (usually, mother, woman would be Russian, in that scenario) of sleeping with a non-white man. That is stigmatized indeed. Slavic women who get involved with minorities get called all kinds of names, for example, chernilnitsa (means "ink jar"), a common derogatory term for women who sleep with those from Central Asia or Caucasus, and Muslims in general, and also may be used for those who share bed with Africans too, I am sure.

In fact, Valeria, the wife of Pierre Narciss

has been openly called that at least once in the media by a racist journalist, and many other times by anonymous commentators...

However, black people themselves, who keep to themselves and especially do not socialize with our women. Seeing a black guy with a Russian girl out on the street

is still a problem for many people.

Even my own guys at work, I heard from them, one lives in Lyubertsy, where there are actually many of the black African students, their whole diaspora is out there, their dormitories and all that, and he sees lots of their boys who pay attention to Russian girls

It makes him angry, he wants to beat them.

I tell him, why? They are just making friends with our people, why is that so bad? Our girls are just exotic to them, same as theirs are to us, that is why Russian men also pursue the African girls too

This is why there are all those black prostitutes advertising in Moscow

Still much demand for that...

I guess that is one way for peoples to get to know each other, through the bodies of our women
Old Mar 20th 2016, 08:42 PM
Official Forum Mascot

Your wife rocks.

Just an FYI, mulatto isn't necessarily considered an appropriate/politically correct term in English. It doesn't come up that much since it's mostly a Spanish word anyway, but the "correct" way to say it is generally "mixed race."
Old Mar 21st 2016, 12:19 PM
Globetrotter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donkey View Post
Your wife rocks.

Just an FYI, mulatto isn't necessarily considered an appropriate/politically correct term in English. It doesn't come up that much since it's mostly a Spanish word anyway, but the "correct" way to say it is generally "mixed race."
An expression which is meaningless too. Depending on how one looks at it, either everybody's of mixed race, or there are no races at all.
Old Mar 21st 2016, 02:54 PM
Official Forum Mascot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominick View Post
An expression which is meaningless too. Depending on how one looks at it, either everybody's of mixed race, or there are no races at all.
It's not meaningless when interracial couples and families are discriminated against.

Race may be a construct, but racism is real.
Old Mar 21st 2016, 11:20 PM
Administrator
Herder of Cats

Quote:
Race may be a construct, but racism is real.

Damn good line. I'll have to use it sometime!
Old Mar 24th 2016, 09:34 PM
Globetrotter

Quote:
Your wife rocks.

I will keep that in mind, a least on this forum...

In Russian language, that is the only word, mulat, mulatka, for a male or female person of mixed Russian or any other white, and black African racial background. That, and chelovek smeshannoi rasy ("person of mixed race"), but that is really long and nobody really talks that way...