Discussion World Forum  

Go Back   Discussion World Forum > Discussion Forums > Religion & Moral Issues

Religion & Moral Issues For discussion of all issues of religion, spiritualism, faith and moral issues.

Old Dec 1st 2015, 06:07 PM
Administrator
Herder of Cats

Default Toxic Atheists

Well, it looks like the mainstream media is starting to get the message that Richard Dawkins and Sam Harris are as toxic to civil society as the self-righteous religious fanatics they love to hate.

Quote:
We can save atheism from the New Atheists like Richard Dawkins and Sam Harris
Source

Nothing particularly new here - just that Dawkins and Harris are getting called out for being idiot/assholes that they have been for many years. The difference is I guess that the mainstream media is actually pointing fingers at these toxic assholes instead of praising them as they usually do. I guess that's progress.

Bottom line is that atheists doesn't need spokespeople or anyone to represent them. Atheism has nothing to say and no one to say it to. What's so hard to understand about that?
Old Dec 2nd 2015, 12:28 AM
Official Forum Mascot

Default Re: Toxic Atheists

Couldn't agree more.
Old Dec 2nd 2015, 02:20 AM
Globetrotter

I disagree - atheism has been rising since long before the people you mentioned started publicly explaining why they consider the existence of God unlikely. However, in Britain, among the recently converted atheists, I believe there is a decently sized minority who wouldn't have become atheists if it hadn't been for the argumentation which they've been presented by Christopher Hitchens, Dawkins, Harris and indeed Bill Maher. And even if religious people aren't swayed by their argumentation, some of them may well become more understanding of atheists, after hearing those four speakers present their argumentation.

I could be wrong - but that's what I think.

Old Dec 2nd 2015, 12:22 PM
Official Forum Mascot

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickKIELCEPoland View Post
I disagree - atheism has been rising since long before the people you mentioned started publicly explaining why they consider the existence of God unlikely. However, in Britain, among the recently converted atheists, I believe there is a decently sized minority who wouldn't have become atheists if it hadn't been for the argumentation which they've been presented by Christopher Hitchens, Dawkins, Harris and indeed Bill Maher. And even if religious people aren't swayed by their argumentation, some of them may well become more understanding of atheists, after hearing those four speakers present their argumentation.

I could be wrong - but that's what I think.

If religious people think they understand atheists better after hearing the four horsemen speak, THAT IS THE FUCKING PROBLEM.
Old Dec 2nd 2015, 05:12 PM
Globetrotter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donkey View Post
If religious people think they understand atheists better after hearing the four horsemen speak, THAT IS THE FUCKING PROBLEM.
I was referring to the improved respect shown by religious people to non-religious people that I believe results from their better understanding of (or, if you prefer, their perceived better understanding of) non-religious people.
Old Dec 2nd 2015, 05:38 PM
Globetrotter

Pope Francis has reached out to non-believers, not in an attempt to convert them, but in an attempt to show peace with them. Don't you think that may be the result of watching celebrity atheists on youtube?
Old Dec 2nd 2015, 06:35 PM
Administrator
Herder of Cats

Quote:
Pope Francis has reached out to non-believers, not in an attempt to convert them, but in an attempt to show peace with them. Don't you think that may be the result of watching celebrity atheists on youtube?
I'm willing to give Pope Francis the benefit of the doubt and suggest that he probably decided on this policy based on its own merits and his own education, rather than being inspired by watching celebrity atheists on youtube.
Old Dec 3rd 2015, 06:08 AM
Globetrotter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael View Post
I'm willing to give Pope Francis the benefit of the doubt and suggest that he probably decided on this policy based on its own merits and his own education, rather than being inspired by watching celebrity atheists on youtube.
Old Dec 3rd 2015, 10:41 AM
Official Forum Mascot

Quote:
I was referring to the improved respect shown by religious people to non-religious people that I believe results from their better understanding of (or, if you prefer, their perceived better understanding of) non-religious people.
Religious people don't respect these guys, though. Nor should they.
Old Dec 3rd 2015, 10:46 AM
Globetrotter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donkey View Post
Religious people don't respect these guys, though. Nor should they.
I consider that to be a generalisation (and an incorrect one) of religious people. I believe that some religious people respect them, and other religious people don't.

And I believe that some religious people have become more respectful of non-believers, after having seen those celebrity atheists talk on youtube, or after having read writings by those celebrity atheists.

Of course, I could be wrong, but that's what I think.