Discussion World Forum  


Go Back   Discussion World Forum > Discussion Forums > Religion & Moral Issues

Religion & Moral Issues For discussion of all issues of religion, spiritualism, faith and moral issues.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old Dec 1st 2015, 06:07 PM
Michael's Avatar
Michael Michael is offline
Administrator
Herder of Cats
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Toronto
Posts: 14,835
Default Toxic Atheists

Well, it looks like the mainstream media is starting to get the message that Richard Dawkins and Sam Harris are as toxic to civil society as the self-righteous religious fanatics they love to hate.

Quote:
We can save atheism from the New Atheists like Richard Dawkins and Sam Harris
Source

Nothing particularly new here - just that Dawkins and Harris are getting called out for being idiot/assholes that they have been for many years. The difference is I guess that the mainstream media is actually pointing fingers at these toxic assholes instead of praising them as they usually do. I guess that's progress.

Bottom line is that atheists doesn't need spokespeople or anyone to represent them. Atheism has nothing to say and no one to say it to. What's so hard to understand about that?
__________________
Remember what the dormouse said: Feed your head!
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old Dec 2nd 2015, 12:28 AM
Donkey's Avatar
Donkey Donkey is offline
Official Forum Mascot
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Northeast Ohio
Posts: 7,771
Default Re: Toxic Atheists

Couldn't agree more.
__________________
"It is essential that there should be organization of labor. This is an era of organization. Capital organizes and therefore labor must organize."
Theodore Roosevelt
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old Dec 2nd 2015, 02:20 AM
NickKIELCEPoland's Avatar
NickKIELCEPoland NickKIELCEPoland is offline
Globetrotter
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 8,082
Default Re: Toxic Atheists

I disagree - atheism has been rising since long before the people you mentioned started publicly explaining why they consider the existence of God unlikely. However, in Britain, among the recently converted atheists, I believe there is a decently sized minority who wouldn't have become atheists if it hadn't been for the argumentation which they've been presented by Christopher Hitchens, Dawkins, Harris and indeed Bill Maher. And even if religious people aren't swayed by their argumentation, some of them may well become more understanding of atheists, after hearing those four speakers present their argumentation.

I could be wrong - but that's what I think.

Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old Dec 2nd 2015, 12:22 PM
Donkey's Avatar
Donkey Donkey is offline
Official Forum Mascot
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Northeast Ohio
Posts: 7,771
Default Re: Toxic Atheists

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickKIELCEPoland View Post
I disagree - atheism has been rising since long before the people you mentioned started publicly explaining why they consider the existence of God unlikely. However, in Britain, among the recently converted atheists, I believe there is a decently sized minority who wouldn't have become atheists if it hadn't been for the argumentation which they've been presented by Christopher Hitchens, Dawkins, Harris and indeed Bill Maher. And even if religious people aren't swayed by their argumentation, some of them may well become more understanding of atheists, after hearing those four speakers present their argumentation.

I could be wrong - but that's what I think.

If religious people think they understand atheists better after hearing the four horsemen speak, THAT IS THE FUCKING PROBLEM.
__________________
"It is essential that there should be organization of labor. This is an era of organization. Capital organizes and therefore labor must organize."
Theodore Roosevelt
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old Dec 2nd 2015, 05:12 PM
NickKIELCEPoland's Avatar
NickKIELCEPoland NickKIELCEPoland is offline
Globetrotter
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 8,082
Default Re: Toxic Atheists

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donkey View Post
If religious people think they understand atheists better after hearing the four horsemen speak, THAT IS THE FUCKING PROBLEM.
I was referring to the improved respect shown by religious people to non-religious people that I believe results from their better understanding of (or, if you prefer, their perceived better understanding of) non-religious people.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old Dec 2nd 2015, 05:38 PM
NickKIELCEPoland's Avatar
NickKIELCEPoland NickKIELCEPoland is offline
Globetrotter
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 8,082
Default Re: Toxic Atheists

Pope Francis has reached out to non-believers, not in an attempt to convert them, but in an attempt to show peace with them. Don't you think that may be the result of watching celebrity atheists on youtube?
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old Dec 2nd 2015, 06:35 PM
Michael's Avatar
Michael Michael is offline
Administrator
Herder of Cats
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Toronto
Posts: 14,835
Default Re: Toxic Atheists

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickKIELCEPoland View Post
Pope Francis has reached out to non-believers, not in an attempt to convert them, but in an attempt to show peace with them. Don't you think that may be the result of watching celebrity atheists on youtube?
I'm willing to give Pope Francis the benefit of the doubt and suggest that he probably decided on this policy based on its own merits and his own education, rather than being inspired by watching celebrity atheists on youtube.
__________________
Remember what the dormouse said: Feed your head!
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old Dec 3rd 2015, 06:08 AM
NickKIELCEPoland's Avatar
NickKIELCEPoland NickKIELCEPoland is offline
Globetrotter
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 8,082
Default Re: Toxic Atheists

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael View Post
I'm willing to give Pope Francis the benefit of the doubt and suggest that he probably decided on this policy based on its own merits and his own education, rather than being inspired by watching celebrity atheists on youtube.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old Dec 3rd 2015, 10:41 AM
Donkey's Avatar
Donkey Donkey is offline
Official Forum Mascot
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Northeast Ohio
Posts: 7,771
Default Re: Toxic Atheists

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickKIELCEPoland View Post
I was referring to the improved respect shown by religious people to non-religious people that I believe results from their better understanding of (or, if you prefer, their perceived better understanding of) non-religious people.
Religious people don't respect these guys, though. Nor should they.
__________________
"It is essential that there should be organization of labor. This is an era of organization. Capital organizes and therefore labor must organize."
Theodore Roosevelt
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old Dec 3rd 2015, 10:46 AM
NickKIELCEPoland's Avatar
NickKIELCEPoland NickKIELCEPoland is offline
Globetrotter
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 8,082
Default Re: Toxic Atheists

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donkey View Post
Religious people don't respect these guys, though. Nor should they.
I consider that to be a generalisation (and an incorrect one) of religious people. I believe that some religious people respect them, and other religious people don't.

And I believe that some religious people have become more respectful of non-believers, after having seen those celebrity atheists talk on youtube, or after having read writings by those celebrity atheists.

Of course, I could be wrong, but that's what I think.

Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:30 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2008 - 2017, DiscussionWorldForum.com