View Single Post
Old Jun 30th 2011, 07:09 PM
Official Forum Geek

Default Re: The Facebook Exodus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donkey View Post
Well I think with this google plus shit, or whatever it is, it speaks to what that video talks about. Twitter doesn't act as competition to facebook, even though ostensibly it should. It's a thickening and broadening of the Web 2.0 (gonna go beat myself silly for using the term). No reason that some google shit won't mesh with facebook like Twitter has. When facebook goes the way of the dodo, it will be because the network has evolved past it, not because the network is going away.

It's like the boards used to lay concrete. If you just pour the concrete out, it'll be a big puddle. If you pour it into a board frame, after it dries you can take the boards off and the concrete is still standing.

Imperfect analogy, I know.
Yeah, I mean I think the idea that people have more options for connecting with one another at their disposal isn't likely to disappear anytime soon. But, I also think that this can be done piggy-backed on top of things that already happen. We have all manner of "internet capable" devices, and that is only growing. The internet itself is a near-infinitely complex maze of different ways of exchanging information. I don't think that centralizing that (ala most social networking sites thus far) will be a lasting model compared with standardizing it and letting users choose how to access (ala email, a lot of IM services, cell phone carriers etc).

Maybe the next generation of social network will actually be an interoperating series of them that have their own niches. Twitter has a niche (albeit one that I don't care about, myself), LinkedIn has a niche, and the up and comers will probably have niches. I think Twitter will evolve into a marketing tool (moreso than it already is), LinkedIn into a job search tool (more than it already is) and up and comers will bring their own stuff to bear (google with its search, for instance). Hell, myspace is now a tool for would-be musicians more than a social networking site.

Eventually, I'd imagine that this will transform into users opting to use one or more of them and all of them interoperating, as you mention. Future social networking tools won't get a seat at the table unless they network with the others.

As for Facebook, what does it bring to the table besides 600 billion users, for the moment. What's its niche? Time-wasting games? Photo sharing? I think that they ought to find one, and quickly.