Discussion World Forum

Discussion World Forum (http://www.discussionworldforum.com/forums.php)
-   Entertainment (http://www.discussionworldforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Game of Thrones (http://www.discussionworldforum.com/showthread.php?t=5453)

Michael Apr 20th 2015 05:30 PM

Game of Thrones
 
Open thread for Game of Thrones discussion.

* * *

I find the television series to be so much better than the books.

In my opinion, the first three books are excellent and tell a great story. Then the 4th and 5th books go completely off the rails, creating dozens of new major characters and so many boring sub-plots it is mind-boggling and barely readable.

That being said, I do enjoy reading about the various predictions and theories about how the series is going to end.

Any thoughts or comments?

dilettante Apr 20th 2015 07:19 PM

Re: Game of Thrones
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael (Post 93670)
Open thread for Game of Thrones discussion.

* * *

I find the television series to be so much better than the books.

In my opinion, the first three books are excellent and tell a great story. Then the 4th and 5th books go completely off the rails, creating dozens of new major characters and so many boring sub-plots it is mind-boggling and barely readable.

That being said, I do enjoy reading about the various predictions and theories about how the series is going to end.

Any thoughts or comments?

I've not seen the series nor read the books. I think about starting it every now and again, but from what I know of it, I think it would end up being too intense for me to enjoy. Which is kind of a shame, really.

I'm not sure if this is a fair comparison, but I think of it like the HBO show The Sopranos. I saw the first couple seasons of that, and really enjoyed the characters and story, but the language and graphic sex and violence eventually became such a distraction that it didn't seem worth it anymore.

shekib82 Apr 21st 2015 01:56 AM

Re: Game of Thrones
 
I have started reading a part of the first book then didn't continue. I binge watched all the episodes until this season a year ago. It is a great series, but it also pisses me off as they keep killing the best characters and keeping assholes. I was so happy when Joeffrey died, that was a rare case where the bad guy got what was coming to him.

I am waiting until this season is over, to download it on pirate bay. I am currently watching the last season of house of cards.

For some reasons these days all series star bad evil guys who get away with what they are doing.

Michael Apr 21st 2015 05:58 PM

Re: Game of Thrones
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by shekib82 (Post 93673)
I have started reading a part of the first book then didn't continue. I binge watched all the episodes until this season a year ago. It is a great series, but it also pisses me off as they keep killing the best characters and keeping assholes. I was so happy when Joeffrey died, that was a rare case where the bad guy got what was coming to him.

I am waiting until this season is over, to download it on pirate bay. I am currently watching the last season of house of cards.

For some reasons these days all series star bad evil guys who get away with what they are doing.

I don't know about that. Ned Stark may have been an all round nice guy, but politically speaking, he acted like a complete idiot on a suicide mission - and succeeded by losing his head. No fucking surprise at all given the circumstances going on (replacing a murdered Hand and repeating it). He just walked right into it all and deserved to die according to the unwritten rules of the high stakes game he was playing so badly.

His son did no better by burning the betrothal agreement with a necessary and valuable ally (Freys) and doing it for a marriage of love with a political nobody. In a feudal world of Westeros that's pure idiocy and madness - and he lost the war, the North and his life because of it.

The Game of Thrones is meant to be high stakes drama and these two Stark guys acted like total rookies from the junior leagues when faced with serious politics as bloodsport as practiced by the Lannisters.

So I just don't see the "good guys" dying out here. Lady Stark maybe. What other good characters died? The Karl of the Dothraki? I admit he was pretty cool and it was a shame to see him die. King Robert seemed like a bit of a drunken fat idiot and he just had to die or there'd be no story here. Danearys' brother was complete idiot and deserved to die.

Danearys, Tyrion and Jon Snow are all pretty good characters and they are all still alive since the beginning, also the 'spider' Lord Varys. Jamie and Cersei are both interesting 'bad guy' characters but have hardly prospered, though they are both alive. They both seem to suffer almost continuously, although Cersei does it in some comfort. Not to mention Theon Greyjoy, he's certainly not been prospering after his bad deeds either. Tywin Lannister did prosper for a while, but ultimately died an unglamorous death sitting on the toilet. :shrug:

Personally, in the tv series, my favorite character is of course Tyrion. He's such a wonderful fun and entertaining character. :)

Dominick Apr 21st 2015 08:55 PM

Re: Game of Thrones
 
Never seen it and didn't even know there are books. Probably an indication of just how far removed I am from 'society'.

Michael Sep 11th 2015 06:05 PM

Re: Game of Thrones
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dominick (Post 93685)
Never seen it and didn't even know there are books. Probably an indication of just how far removed I am from 'society'.

I'd never heard of the books or the author before watching the series.

Btw, I've just watched season 5. It is a whirlwind of adventure, but I'm afraid that after they've killed off so many interesting characters, I just don't give a shit what happens any more. Too many 'cringe-worthy' scenes in the 5th season.

If there is a deeper story/plotline underneath all the dead characters, I don't see it and I'm not really interested in looking for it. I'm betting Game of Thrones has passed its peak and will now have declining numbers. :shrug:

Non Sequitur Sep 11th 2015 06:30 PM

Re: Game of Thrones
 
I must admit that the books (and the TV series) are just too dark for me. There are no pleasant characters.

Michael Sep 12th 2015 09:14 AM

Re: Game of Thrones
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Non Sequitur (Post 95187)
I must admit that the books (and the TV series) are just too dark for me. There are no pleasant characters.

Well, Sansa Stark and Marjorie Tyrell both seem to be pleasant, pleasing and non-murderous types (and still alive after 5 seasons), but that seems to be it for 'pleasant' characters.

Anyway, no matter how dark the plot and unlikeable many of the characters are, the whole production is certainly first class with some good actors, beautiful scenery and impressive settings.

I think the story suffers from having way too many plot-lines.

Abishai100 Apr 3rd 2019 06:49 AM

Kingdom Creatures(?)
 
Game of Thrones has become a real iconic TV series and I think it represents a modern backlash against all the tech-themed programs and movies like Tron and Babylon 5. Who doesn't appreciate a good old program about old-world monarchy/kingdom intrigue in this 21st Century of NASDAQ and Twitter?

I appreciate any kind of wry comments/humor that Game of Thrones might offer, since I like juxtapositions of monarchy/kingdom-oriented dialogue/storytelling and psychology/lifestyle irony presentations (e.g., kings dealing with adultery!). After all, we all appreciate kingdom tales of monarchies dealing with social imagination 'troubles,' no?

In fact, it's TV shows like Game of Thrones which remind us why kingdom-themed stories such as the modernism-allegorical Camelot-parodied British comedy-fantasy filmMonty Python and the Holy Grail represent our new age social fascination with the 'evolution' of customs/etiquette, right?

In any case, I rank Game of Thrones with the likes of Gotham, NUMB3RS, The Benny Hill Show, and The West Wing, shows which catch our interests in 'socialization discord' (even if through sarcasm or entanglements!).

Good stuff...




====

KING: You defy my command to prepare a feast?
REBEL: Not all in this court have thanks to give...
KING: Your defiance will be remembered but dishonoured!
REBEL: Your reign is as clean as that of a turkey...
KING: May your words be recounted by those witnessing beheading.
REBEL: Decapitations in England mean the rise of savages in Arabia.
KING: At least this court/kingdom will forever be...salty(!).
REBEL: To change the monarchy, we need only to focus on thrones.

====

:shrug:

Monty Python and the Holy Grail (YouTube!)


https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...ahad_grail.jpg


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:38 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2008 - 2017, DiscussionWorldForum.com