Discussion World Forum

Discussion World Forum (http://www.discussionworldforum.com/forums.php)
-   Sports (http://www.discussionworldforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   Home-grown national coaches (http://www.discussionworldforum.com/showthread.php?t=3069)

NickKIELCEPoland Feb 8th 2012 04:05 AM

Home-grown national coaches

Should the coach of a country's natonal sports team be required by the world governing body, to be from the country they are coach of?

MeMyselfAndI Feb 8th 2012 04:18 AM

Re: Home-grown national coaches

Interesting that you say that. Both of Russia's National Football Team most recent head coaches, Gus Hiddink (who led Russia to semi-final in Euro 2008) and the current one, Dik Advokat, are Dutch. My opinion, it is fine, as long as they do the job well.

NickKIELCEPoland Feb 8th 2012 06:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MeMyselfAndI (Post 59797)
Interesting that you say that. Both of Russia's National Football Team most recent head coaches, Gus Hiddink (who led Russia to semi-final in Euro 2008) and the current one, Dik Advokat, are Dutch. My opinion, it is fine, as long as they do the job well.

England also have a foreign coach. I don't agree with this policy. If (by some miracle) they win a trophy, I want to be proud of both the players and the coach - Capello is only coach of England, since the English FA pays him an astronomical sum - so it's a bit like trying to buy success.

Buying success is what CLUB football is supposed to be about - not international football!

Donkey Feb 8th 2012 11:34 AM

No. It doesn't matter. The players are from that country. The job of the coach is to bring the best out in the players. It doesn't matter where he/she is from.

NickKIELCEPoland Feb 8th 2012 03:37 PM

Capello has just resigned as England coach. It was on the cards this morning, which was what prompted me to make this poll.
The European Championships will be held in June, so someone else will lead England into that tournament. I think it will be Harry Redknapp, who, TODAY, was cleared of tax dodging, in a court of law. Harry Redknapp is English, but that doesn't mean I'm a fan of his - I'm not. I'd rather it was another English coach. But we'll see.

Michael Feb 8th 2012 08:34 PM

Sport is 100% a commercial entertainment enterprise. You might as well be cheering for Nike vs Coca-Cola.

That being said, I can't imagine anything less relevant to a sports team than the arbitrary designations of nationality.

Indeed, to believe the issue has merit, one has to buy into the whole nationalism thing. :shrug:

P.S. The poll is missing a 3rd option for "who cares either way?".

NickKIELCEPoland Feb 9th 2012 12:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael (Post 59841)
Sport is 100% a commercial entertainment enterprise.

Maybe by your definition it is.
But in international football, you cannot buy success, you have to grow it. In club football, it's different, there you can buy trophies.

MeMyselfAndI Feb 9th 2012 05:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NickKIELCEPoland (Post 59871)
Maybe by your definition it is.
But in international football, you cannot buy success, you have to grow it. In club football, it's different, there you can buy trophies.

Nick, if there is one thing I have learned from growing up in Russia and living and establishing myself here, it is that anything can be bought and sold, anything and anyone, at all. We just now have had a scandal where a corrupt Air Forces General was arrested for, I am not joking, selling a military aerodrome to private businessmen. Or trying to, anyway, luckily the authorities stopped it in time.
http://www.defenseworld.net/go/defen...for%20USD33000

So, to me, anything is possible lol

As far as sports, gifted athletes today are often bribed into moving to another country, handed citizenship there and competing for them. That is why we have a Japanese girl figure skating for Russia, among many other examples. There is a American-born woman who plays I cannot right now remember what sport for Azerbaijan... Azerbaijan of all places :lol: So, no, my friend, money is power. Fact.

NickKIELCEPoland Feb 9th 2012 05:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MeMyselfAndI (Post 59916)
Nick, if there is one thing I have learned from growing up in Russia and living and establishing myself here, it is that anything can be bought and sold, anything and anyone, at all. We just now have had a scandal where a corrupt Air Forces General was arrested for, I am not joking, selling a military aerodrome to private businessmen. Or trying to, anyway, luckily the authorities stopped it in time.
http://www.defenseworld.net/go/defen...for%20USD33000

So, to me, anything is possible lol

As far as sports, gifted athletes today are often bribed into moving to another country, handed citizenship there and competing for them. That is why we have a Japanese girl figure skating for Russia, among many other examples. There is a American-born woman who plays I cannot right now remember what sport for Azerbaijan... Azerbaijan of all places :lol: So, no, my friend, money is power. Fact.

Spain won the World CUp, and every single player was born in Spain. So they didn't buy anything. They earned it.

Never mind what CAN happen - look at what DOES happen - and as long as it continues to happen, let me enjoy it.

MeMyselfAndI Feb 9th 2012 05:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NickKIELCEPoland (Post 59917)
Spain won the World CUp, and every single player was born in Spain. So they didn't buy anything. They earned it.

I am aware of that. Good for them. But, imagine, if your native population is not good at a particular sport. Just, not good at it, by nature. So, think this in your mind, this is, shall we say, my perfect vision: if Russia and Brazil could exchange some of their soccer talent for some of our hockey skills, trade our hockey players for their footballers, both our nations would benefit greatly. We'd become powerhouses in both sports :D

Quote:

Originally Posted by NickKIELCEPoland (Post 59917)
Never mind what CAN happen - look at what DOES happen - and as long as it continues to happen, let me enjoy it.

Do enjoy it, for as long as it lasts. But what I outlined above is the future, I promise you :shrug:;)