Discussion World Forum

Discussion World Forum (http://www.discussionworldforum.com/forums.php)
-   Chat Zone (http://www.discussionworldforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Random post VII: the randomness awakens (http://www.discussionworldforum.com/showthread.php?t=5676)

Michael Dec 25th 2015 11:23 AM

Random post VII: the randomness awakens

The Random Post thread is dead. Long live the Random Post thread!

:cheers:

Michael Dec 25th 2015 12:29 PM

Re: Random post VII: the randomness awakens

Merry Chistmas to one and all.

Dominick Dec 25th 2015 02:16 PM

Ditto.

Also, karma's a bitch. I got a Christmas prezzie: 'Star Wars, the first Trilogy' by Donald F. Glut and James Kahn. :rofl:
Doesn't matter really. A book is a book, a movie a movie. Still going to read it.

Donkey Dec 25th 2015 07:37 PM

There are elements of the prequels that could be good or at least interesting. The movies are just terrible.

Michael Dec 26th 2015 10:32 AM

I got a dozen home-made butter tarts (aka tutter barts) from my mother for xmas.

They are heavenly and to die for. :)

:eek: I'm just discovering that butter tarts are a uniquely Canadian thing. Who knew?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Butter_tart

One day I'm going to have to arrange a dinner of poutine, peameal bacon, Montreal smoked meat, maple syrup, smoked salmon, nanaimo bars and butter tarts. :lol:

Washed down with a bottle of ice wine from Niagara of course - the finest in the world! :thumbsup:

(though I'm afraid no ice wines from Ontario this year - we had no 'first-frost'!)

Dominick Dec 29th 2015 10:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Donkey (Post 96257)
There are elements of the prequels that could be good or at least interesting. The movies are just terrible.

The first trilogy is the first three movies which were made, at least that's how it's interpreted in this book. Reading it made me realize that I have in fact never seen the second one (The Empire strikes back). The scenes on the snow planet and Yoda's place don't ring any bells at all.
It's rather badly written and/or translated. It's clearly targeted at today's teenagers with their limited vocabulary and their anachronistic idioms. Heck, the one cute thing about the whole series isn't even translated, i.e. Yoda's speech mannerisms. Disappointing, it is.

There's a hell of a lot more wrong with the Star Wars universe but that's for when the book's finished (unless I forget of course).

Donkey Dec 29th 2015 10:53 AM

Dude! Empire strikes back is the best of the lot! Are you sure you just haven't seen the first part? Empire is the one with the Big Vader Reveal.

Dominick Jan 1st 2016 04:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Donkey (Post 96274)
Dude! Empire strikes back is the best of the lot! Are you sure you just haven't seen the first part? Empire is the one with the Big Vader Reveal.

Nope, finished that part and nothing rang any bell, including the reveal you're alluding to.
Well, that or my memory is getting really bad.

PS From what I hear from other people that reveal wasn't as big a thing in Dutch speaking countries since 'Vader' is the Dutch word for Father. Apparently many people around these parts expected him to be someone's father from the get go.

Michael Jan 25th 2016 07:16 PM

Happy birthday Nick! :bdaycake:

dilettante Jan 25th 2016 09:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael (Post 96489)
Happy birthday Nick! :bdaycake:

:party::party::party:

Many happy returns!