Discussion World Forum

Discussion World Forum (http://www.discussionworldforum.com/forums.php)
-   World Politics (Non-US) (http://www.discussionworldforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Pot legalization in Canada (http://www.discussionworldforum.com/showthread.php?t=5989)

Michael Jul 8th 2017 01:39 PM

Pot legalization in Canada
 
I don't know if all of you have heard about it yet, but the Canadian government has officially announced that legislation to remove possession of marijuana from the Criminal Code will be introduced in the Spring of 2018 and full legalization will commence, after passage of the law, on July 1st, 2018.

This was a major campaign policy of the [massive] Liberal Party electoral victory in 2015.

Full wide-open retail operations will likely begin on January 1st 2019. Some of the largest retailers in Canada have already been applying for retail licenses and preparing for the new policy (including Shoppers Drug Mart, the largest national drug store chain in the country).

At this time, the only real political debate going on is whether or not all existing 'pot possession' charges would be dismissed/pardoned away at that time.

Strangely enough, there doesn't appear to be any substantive legal, political or social opposition to this policy anywhere in the country. The debate is very quiet. No 'interest groups' appear to be fighting against the proposed policy.

Growing will be done by private market operators under government licences. Retailing will be done the same way, through private market operators under government licenses. Growing or selling without a license will be illegal. Private growing of limited production for private use will be fully legal.

I must admit, I've been impressed that the Liberal government has followed through as completely as they said they would.

I for one am looking forward to next July 1st (Canada Day appropriately enough!). :smoke:

Donkey Jul 10th 2017 03:02 PM

Re: Pot legalization in Canada
 
Is your pharmaceutical industry less powerful?

dilettante Jul 10th 2017 03:42 PM

Re: Pot legalization in Canada
 
I suppose that's for the best. When it comes to pot, I don't have any desire to make use of it myself, I'm inclined to suspect that the widespread use of it is not beneficial to society, and yet I support legalization and regulation. Criminalizing pot just seems silly in principle and incredibly damaging in practice.

Michael Jul 10th 2017 05:56 PM

Re: Pot legalization in Canada
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Donkey (Post 100039)
Is your pharmaceutical industry less powerful?

All big pharmaceutical companies are multinationals - with HQ in USA, UK or Switzerland. :)

Besides, our political system isn't designed to give veto points to private corporations, nor is it designed to hold Parliament hostage to billionaire campaign donors (quite unlike the USA).

As for the pharmaceutical industry, we produce most of the 'generic' drugs that are legally allowed to the USA, so the Pharma boys have lots and lots of market profits selling massively overpriced 'discount' drugs to Americans. :lol:

Quote:

Originally Posted by dilettante (Post 100040)
I suppose that's for the best. When it comes to pot, I don't have any desire to make use of it myself, I'm inclined to suspect that the widespread use of it is not beneficial to society, and yet I support legalization and regulation. Criminalizing pot just seems silly in principle and incredibly damaging in practice.

Yes, your last line is the real driver of the debate I think.

That being said, I do think society would be a whole lot better off if alcohol consumption was replaced by pot consumption. I'll grant that it isn't ideal, but pot leads to a whole lot less violence and medical problems than alcohol does.

Michael Jul 10th 2017 05:59 PM

Re: Pot legalization in Canada
 
I wonder if Google will bless us with a cannabis leaf logo on July 1st, 2018. :lol:

dilettante Jul 10th 2017 08:07 PM

Re: Pot legalization in Canada
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael (Post 100041)
That being said, I do think society would be a whole lot better off if alcohol consumption was replaced by pot consumption. I'll grant that it isn't ideal, but pot leads to a whole lot less violence and medical problems than alcohol does.

I certainly agree with that. Is there evidence that that's what happens, individuals switching from one to the other? That would be positive, though in that case I'd expect beer and liquor companies would be more involved in lobbying against legalization. Maybe they are and just haven't seen it.

Donkey Jul 10th 2017 09:19 PM

Re: Pot legalization in Canada
 
I guess the better question would have been is your phara lobby less powerful.


At any rate, in my experience legality has little to do with whether one prefers marijuana or alcohol.

Michael Jul 11th 2017 05:53 PM

Re: Pot legalization in Canada
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Donkey (Post 100044)
I guess the better question would have been is your phara lobby less powerful.

All corporate lobbies are less powerful in Canada than in the USA because our political system isn't designed and built to give them the access, veto points or the need of politicians to beg endlessly for their money.

That is my principal criticism of the US Constitution - it seems like it was practically designed to maximize the power of the rich people and make it easy for them to control US government.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Donkey (Post 100044)
At any rate, in my experience legality has little to do with whether one prefers marijuana or alcohol.

Recent public opinion polls up here seem to contradict that. Apparently, there is a very large number of people (10-15% of population) in Canada that really, really want to try pot but are afraid of the law. Once it becomes legal, it looks like we are going to have a big wave of 30-40-50-60 year old first time pot smokers. :shrug:

Donkey Jul 11th 2017 10:11 PM

Re: Pot legalization in Canada
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael (Post 100045)
All corporate lobbies are less powerful in Canada than in the USA because our political system isn't designed and built to give them the access, veto points or the need of politicians to beg endlessly for their money.

That is my principal criticism of the US Constitution - it seems like it was practically designed to maximize the power of the rich people and make it easy for them to control US government.



Recent public opinion polls up here seem to contradict that. Apparently, there is a very large number of people (10-15% of population) in Canada that really, really want to try pot but are afraid of the law. Once it becomes legal, it looks like we are going to have a big wave of 30-40-50-60 year old first time pot smokers. :shrug:

I wonder for whom it will stick, though.

Michael Jul 13th 2017 06:17 PM

Re: Pot legalization in Canada
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Donkey (Post 100046)
I wonder for whom it will stick, though.

Interesting question. I guess we will find out in another year or two. :)


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:46 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2008 - 2017, DiscussionWorldForum.com